Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Just installed a Fox box with two IDQ10s!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed a Fox box with two IDQ10s!

Hey everybody.... I just wanted to let you all know that if you want a nice box for a great price, that fits average 10'' subs and has nice build quality. Go with a FOXBOX from foxacoustics. I just finished up an install last weekend, after being disapointed with doing a single Digital Designs 1508 ported under my backseat. I went back to what I wanted to do, and that was get 2 10s. I now have 2 Image Dynamics IDQ10D4s under the seat being fed with 600w rms to each. The subs sound incredible, and I couldn't ask for more! The sound quality is excellent, and the .65 net cu. ft. of volume is plenty for these 10s.

Image Dynamics is known for putting out quality sound, which I found with my last sub from them (IDMAX12) which is why I went back to them! They do have a bit larger basket than a reg. 10, so I had to get the saw out and make my hole of the FOXBOX larger by about 3/16'' all the way around. As far as depth, these subs fit perfectly with a 1/2'' clearence behind the magnet. The only things I would have to disagree with on the box is that there is no silicone sealant on the inside, but thus far, I haven't found any air leaks.... and the other thing is. If you have higher excursion subs, they may hit the carpet (I have 3/4'' of clearence to the floor) Most that will fit in this box should have no problem, because the real SPL subs need a larger box, and have too deep of a magnet anyway.

ALL IN ALL FOXBOX= GREAT. and IDQ10s are amazing!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good. Any pics of the setup?

I am dying to start tackling this project, but I want a custom box made for what I have in mind. So far, I have yet to see anyone offer anything that I would want specifically. I could have one made locally at a shop, but that will cost an arm and a leg compared to a company like FOX where they already know all the specs for what boxes will fit and what wont. I am simply looking for a box that goes all the way across underneath the back seat and has cutouts for subs firing down. Furthermore, I would like those cutouts to be for three 12s or maybe even just 3 10s. In a perfect world, Id like to try and squeeze three of JL Audio's 13TW5's down there, all facing down.

Width-wise, it should be no problem. I understand that subs need a certain amount of internal air space to sound their best, but I had three Alpine Type-R 10s side by side in a downward facing box behind the rear seat of my Wrangler before and it sounded amazing. If anyone is familiar with the Wrangler, you know that space is at a premium back there.... so I know it can be done.

Ive also seen boxes that will allow for two 12s and have a cutout on top of the box to place your amp. That would be ideal if I was going with just two 12s.... makes everything much easier. Only problem with this box is that the company who makes it has the 12s firing upwards. I cant see this sounding as good, not to mention how annoying that would be for anyone sitting right on top of an upward firing speaker. Tow down facing 12" cutouts and an amp spot on top would be pretty sweet though.

Sorry for the rant there... I would still like to see installed pics of your setup as well!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Great to hear, I was looking hard at the IDQ before going with my Peerless. Also nice to hear some more Kudos for Joe's boxes, who is one of the forum vendors.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not enough air space under the seat for a trio of 13TW5s.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... as far as a place to mount the electronics... the back wall has plenty of room for amps and what not, and is also easy to access once you do it a couple times! As far as air space... you have enough to do 2 jl13s IF you do a seat lift. The only amount of room you can squeeze under the seat as it sits now, is just a hair over 1 cu. foot. which is only good for a couple of 10s, that are made for lower cubic feet. The JL13s require .80 cu. for each, if you purchase a box from supercrewsound, with a seat lift, you will have the right volume for them... BUT after a seat lift you will have room for normal depth subs, and there is no need for a 2.5 inch deep super expensive sub like the JL13. The internal space is much more important than just the fact that you can mount the subs.... Those Jls sound REALLY good... I heard 1 setup at a local shop in a 1 cu. ft. box, and was powered by 500 watts. It sounded very tight, and played nice and low, BUT it was lacking some SQ. I will work on getting some pics of my setup together... shiz I was in such a rush to just get them in and play um... I didn't pause for pics! haha
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM

If you use all the space under the seat, 2+ cf are actually available (and that's without doing a depth extension like the Foxbox has that takes advantage of the soft bottom of the rear seat). Where you start losing space is when you have to elevate the box to accommodate a downfiring sub or subs. The low excursion of the 13TW5 means that you don't have to give them too much room to downfire.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helotaxi
Not enough air space under the seat for a trio of 13TW5s.
See, I understand that on paper, there is not enough airspace for three of these subs..... but Im quite sure there was not enough airspace in that box I had in my Wrangler either. In fact, Id be willing to bet that there was far less space in that box for the Wrangler than any sub box I could have built for underneath the back seat of the supercrew.

Furthermore, I have not done the math myself yet, btu I would have to believe there is more than 1 cu. ft. of space udner there. I am planning to have the box extend all the way across from door to door under there by the way.... not just cut off when it gets to the passenger side seat.

I think it is possible.... but we shall see. I have not committed to anything just yet. I appreciate the opinion though, so dont by any means think that Im arguing here. I like talking about this kinda stuff!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM

I did calculate the complete space under the seat from door to door without any standoff for a downfiring sub and the result was almost exactly 2 cf using 3/4" material. Going to 5/8" material would give you more room but you'd lose it right back with proper bracing. The 13TW5s really want .8 cf per driver. Getting 3 of them to sound right in the 1.6 or so cf you'd have to work with would be impossible. You'd be better served with only a pair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed a Fox box with two IDQ10s!