Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Just installed Audio Control L7i, amp, and jl10w3. .. Hissing through speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 659 Likes on 288 Posts

Default Just installed Audio Control L7i, amp, and jl10w3. .. Hissing through speakers

Recently installed the L7i, Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp, JL 10W3 power wedge box. . Very impressed with sound at mid to high level but when volume is low or sometimes when radio is off but key is on you can hear hissing or static through the speakers. I turned gains down on amp and the issue is still there. Anyone experienced this ? Thank you
Name:  20160715_115516_zpsz0zpymle.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  209.0 KB

Name:  20160715_114129-1_zpsrnepkojb.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  393.4 KB
Old 07-18-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's a good article on how to track down noise in a stereo install. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-siwmwaO...ion_guide.html

More than likely you have either a poor ground to your amp or there's a cross signal going into your signal cables. From your pic, I can see that you have your RCA running parallel to your power and ground cables. As a general rule, you will want to keep signal cables away from power cables, and if the cables must cross at some point, then it's best to have them cross at 90 degrees from each other.
The following users liked this post:
go-on3 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 659 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by badtziscool
Here's a good article on how to track down noise in a stereo install. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-siwmwaO...ion_guide.html

More than likely you have either a poor ground to your amp or there's a cross signal going into your signal cables. From your pic, I can see that you have your RCA running parallel to your power and ground cables. As a general rule, you will want to keep signal cables away from power cables, and if the cables must cross at some point, then it's best to have them cross at 90 degrees from each other.
Greatly appreciate your help ! I had to run rca's line that because I ordered the wrong length (12 foot ) . Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Its the first time I've ever used a line out converter line this. ... Definitely learning from my mistakes ")
Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem. Yeah, if you have to run the signal cables along with the power, you can get some shielded cables and it will help reduce the noise, but it's best to keep them separate.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any updates?

Hi,
I just saw your thread. I was wondering if you fixed the issue with your truck? I installed the LC7i along with 2 alpine amps and a 10" sub. I also get the same hissing sound at low volumes. The audio sounds great. But it just bugs me that the hissing is there.
So, i was wondering if you had fixed it and if so, how did you fix the issue?
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Try adjusting the gain and the levels of the LCi7. A speaker level input has a ton of noise and it usually gets transferred into the RCA signal as hiss. Best way to combat this is with a powerful amp and low gain settings. Tinker with those settings and see what you can improve. The lower the amp's gain, the less hiss you're going to have so you'll need to do some experimenting to get the levels matched right between the amp's gain and the LCi7's output levels.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by _MacLeod_
Try adjusting the gain and the levels of the LCi7. A speaker level input has a ton of noise and it usually gets transferred into the RCA signal as hiss. Best way to combat this is with a powerful amp and low gain settings. Tinker with those settings and see what you can improve. The lower the amp's gain, the less hiss you're going to have so you'll need to do some experimenting to get the levels matched right between the amp's gain and the LCi7's output levels.
+1

Quick Reply: Just installed Audio Control L7i, amp, and jl10w3. .. Hissing through speakers