Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

JL audio

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default JL audio

Have a 2011 SCREW with the base stereo. I want to upgrade the door speakers and stopped by a shop to check things out. I'm looking at the JL audio C2-570x coaxials. I inquired about the Alpine power pack to run, but the salesman also recommended the JL HX 280/4. Does anyone use this amp or speakers? I know JL is quality stuff. Just want some of y'alls opinion.

Thanks..
Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The JL amps are supposed to be exceptionally good, but they're also exceptionally expensive. If you can swing it, I'd say go for it at least from a reliability standpoint. If not, the Alpine will probably sound almost exactly the same for less money, and still probably be reliable.

I can't say anything about the speakers. I've heard great things about JL Audio speakers, but have decided on Image Dynamics for my truck. Hoping to install them for Christmas, most likely.

Brandon
Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ 55
Have a 2011 SCREW with the base stereo. I want to upgrade the door speakers and stopped by a shop to check things out. I'm looking at the JL audio C2-570x coaxials. I inquired about the Alpine power pack to run, but the salesman also recommended the JL HX 280/4. Does anyone use this amp or speakers? I know JL is quality stuff. Just want some of y'alls opinion.

Thanks..
Iv'e just went through this-... lol

I delt with 3 different car audio places and all of them tried selling me what they had not what i wanted. understandable... but the mark-ups were 40% and imho not as good as what i can get online-.

I have jl audio C5-570 fronts
and JL Audio C3-570 rears...

great speakers just remember the more clean power you toss at them the better they will sound. 50 watts on that amp will do the job but 75-100 watts would take them to a higher level. imho from my research.

can you do it yourself ?? I did and trust me at first i was like no way. came out perfect-. with the help of the internet and the people from this forum...

I got this- for cheaper then the jl with much more power... overall i saved over 1,500 doing it myself. subs/speakers/wires/amps. if you don't think you can handle it then that set-up he is selling you will sound better then what you have-...
Amazon.com : Precision Power P900.4 900-Watt Phantom Series Class D Full Range 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Precision Power P900.4 900-Watt Phantom Series Class D Full Range 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics
Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I have JL 6.5 compnents in the front and love them. I don't know why you would do the 570's when the 650's fit with an adapter. I made mine but you can get them from Crutchfield. The 650s have much better base. I'm running the Kicker system, which I like for the most part. I chose it for the price and ease of installation. I found some discontinued JL's for $150,so I put them in the front. After installing the Kicker stuff, I feel a lot more confdent about installing better stuff. I've had this set-up for 6 months and I'm getting itchy to change to something thats 100 watts per channel. If I were to do it again, I'd start there. I've been to a couple of stereo shop. They both recommended JL speakers and Alpine amps. I'd kinda come to that conclusion myself. I don't know if you plan to add a sub. Alpine makes a 900 watt 5 channel amp. 400x 4 for the doors and 500 for the sub. I'd recommend a sub. You don't have to have it loud, but it really fills in the base, and you can take some of the low frequencies out of the mids, which makes them sound better. I also dynamatted my doors. That helps a lot. The door skins are so thin, its worth doing just for road noise and rattles. I need to dynamat the back wall and the floor under the sub. They don't rattle, but the sub makes them vibrate. I haven't had time for that project. Good luck with whatever you get. This is the first "system" I've had. I sure enjoy my truck a lot more with good tunes.
The following users liked this post:
cbrandonb (11-05-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 12:16 AM

Think I'm going to go the 6.5 route. Components in front, coaxials in the rear and one sub. Might do the JL microsub under the rear seat. Not sure if I want to do a powered sub and 4 channel, or non powered with a 5 channel to run it all.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:17 PM
WindowGuy

I think those are both viable options. I'm by no means an audio expert, but from my experience, either way will make a huge difference in your audio experience. No one system is right for everyone. Just gotta figure out whats best for you. Hope you enjoy your new system.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

JL is overpriced. You're paying for the name more than anything. Plus I'd buy online if I were you to save some money.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Yeah online is always cheaper. I've been out of the car audio game for awhile. What are some other good brands to look at?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ 55
Yeah online is always cheaper. I've been out of the car audio game for awhile. What are some other good brands to look at?
My personal opinion on bang for your buck high quality stuff is Sundown Audio. Their amps and subs are very nice. Waiting to hear one of their new 6.5 comp sets in my buddy's build.

You want an all in one amp 5/6 channel my pick is the Arc Audio XDi 1200.6
Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 PM
WindowGuy

I've been ready more about both of those. They do have happy customers

Quick Reply: JL audio