Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Intro + Help Please DD unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro + Help Please DD unit

Alright well first I have a 2003 F150 Ext Cab. Ill post pics up soon since Im new. I was wanting to put a Double Din unit in my truck and was wondering who has done it? I know we only have 1.5 Din and obviously thats not enough room. I seen another members pics of his done. (I of course can't find it now) But I was wondering who else has done it and how did you do it? I went to the junk yard today and had no luck finding a radio trim in grey to be the project. But my idea was to get that and cut at it using the stock 07 HU as a template. Will that work? Because I know a DD will fit in those easy right? (Correct my errors please) Now for you new truck guys with Double DIN units do you need the plastic housing like when installing a single Din unit? Because its too Big or does it slide right inthe cover with the OE trim? I dont have the Radio I want yet because I want to make sure I can get this done, I just dont want to hack up the radio trim too much. Any ideas ,suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Another thing (I know this should be in the WTB section, but, anyone with radio trims for sale? Grey )
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can easily fit a double din head unit in there, its just mounting that is the problem. I have mine all torn apart at the moment, and I can get measurements and pictures if you would like, just let me know in the next hour or so.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 PM

if im not to late.... YES Pics please!!! and measurements.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Ty

Well, the inside dimenshions are aproximatly 7 1/4 inches by 3 3/8 inches, but you could easilly make them bigger, and I figured you could get the dimentions to the dash pannel with out taking things appart.

here is a picture with the dash on

and here is your biggest problem, but Im sure you can take it out if your truck even has it.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Where did you cut? Mine has the plastic bar inbetween the radio and ac controls (on the trim itself). You didnt have to cut on top or the sides of the trim? Or did you do such a good job I didnt notice?I know you have to cut some on the inside because is angles down right? and the DD is just a big o block.Clarify Please???
Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Ty

If you look at the first picture, you can actually see that its still there, I did not trim anything. there might be some differencesbetween the years, but there is not anything that you can't cover up with some plastic strips and some body filler.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM

Can you post some pics of your radio in ? Im usually not lost but.... im lost.................
Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Ty

yeah, I will post some up in my thread about my custom switch pannel in a hour or so.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Ok now Im just confused.... Your installing a Single Din unit with some Rocker Switches. I was thinking the whole time you were putting in a Double Din unit. Looking goot BTW.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Ty

yes I am, I was just posting pictures to ahow you that a DD could be fit in there if you messed with it enough.

Quick Reply: Intro + Help Please DD unit