Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installing new HU.....wiring question, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new HU.....wiring question, HELP!!

So, I have finally got a handle on my entire audio system upgrade. Parts on order, etc. I was going to wait and do every thing at once; dead mat, speaker install, HU install, and amp install. But, my old HU crapped out, so I am going to throw they new HU in. Not that big of a deal to take apart the fwd dash bezel when I am ready to install the amp and speakers. OK, on to biz.....

I wired up my harness. I am using a Metra 71-5520. I am mating that to a JVC KW-XR810. The question I have is the remote wire. Do I leave the wires remote wires disconnected and capped until I install the amp. At which time I run the remote wire from the HU harness to the amp. If so, why is their a remote wire on the metra harness if in reality all I need is the remote lead from the JVC side of the harness

I guess what I am asking, (in the form of a question) the remote wire does not need to be connected to anything until its time to install an amp?? Correct??
Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by havhon
So, I have finally got a handle on my entire audio system upgrade. Parts on order, etc. I was going to wait and do every thing at once; dead mat, speaker install, HU install, and amp install. But, my old HU crapped out, so I am going to throw they new HU in. Not that big of a deal to take apart the fwd dash bezel when I am ready to install the amp and speakers. OK, on to biz.....

I wired up my harness. I am using a Metra 71-5520. I am mating that to a JVC KW-XR810. The question I have is the remote wire. Do I leave the wires remote wires disconnected and capped until I install the amp. At which time I run the remote wire from the HU harness to the amp. If so, why is their a remote wire on the metra harness if in reality all I need is the remote lead from the JVC side of the harness

I guess what I am asking, (in the form of a question) the remote wire does not need to be connected to anything until its time to install an amp?? Correct??
I believe not you will connect the remote wire from the harness to the remote wire on the stereo harness and then you have your longer piece of wire going to the amp so behind the stereo you will have three wires connected together. But until you get the amp you can just cap it off yes
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont know if you have premium sound if you do then the remote wire will turn on the factory amps if you have them. If you do not have the premium sound then cap it for now and use it when you need it...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM

I'm having a problem similar to this but further along in the installation process. I have my kw-xr810 hooked up, and it operates fine through the front speakers, but when I try to get the amp working i can't the power light to come on. I got 12v on the multimeter when i tested the ground and power lines, the remote wire is connected to the harness and the subwoofer is connected to the amp. Is there something preventing the power from coming on (incomplete circuit) or do you need to manually turn on the amp through the receiver itself?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by chronic_retardation
I'm having a problem similar to this but further along in the installation process. I have my kw-xr810 hooked up, and it operates fine through the front speakers, but when I try to get the amp working i can't the power light to come on. I got 12v on the multimeter when i tested the ground and power lines, the remote wire is connected to the harness and the subwoofer is connected to the amp. Is there something preventing the power from coming on (incomplete circuit) or do you need to manually turn on the amp through the receiver itself?
I would check and make sure the "so called remote" wire isn't your 12v switch turn on(which tells the stereo to turn on). I know alot of the alpines harness's have blue/white switched turn on leads, then has a solid blue that is the remote turn on lead to the amps.

I am not really familiar with the newer models with the factory sub, but I would assume it could also be to the sub amp.

Get a light tester and try it.

What model year is your truck, and I'll look it up to help you make the connections.

Last edited by ibd2328; 04-17-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 AM

I inspected my harness closer and i think that's where I overlooked something. I connected the remote wire from the stereo to the black harness wire labeled AMPLIFIER GROUND. It must have made sense when i was splicing them because it was the only wire that could do something for the amp. I forgot that the amp has its own ground built in
i'll disconnect it from the harness wire, connect it to the amp remote wire, and see if that works.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

I had the same problem with my 97 f150 it turned out that my trucks writing harness didn't have anything running into the remote wire on the hu harness so I ran it off the ignition wire (yellow in my truck) until I got a new hu then ran it off the one on the back of the hu
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Krack499

I had the same problem with my 97 f150 it turned out that my trucks writing harness didn't have anything running into the remote wire on the hu harness so I ran it off the ignition wire (yellow in my truck) until I got a new hu then ran it off the one on the back of the hu
If that makes sense
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

I inspected my harness closer and i think that's where I overlooked something. I connected the remote wire from the stereo to the black harness wire labeled AMPLIFIER GROUND. It must have made sense when i was splicing them because it was the only wire that could do something for the amp. I forgot that the amp has its own ground built in
i'll disconnect it from the harness wire, connect it to the amp remote wire, and see if that works.
Their should only be one power wire and ground in the harness. The power wire(usually yellow) that supplies the headunit current all the time to keep memory and presets. The switched turn on, is a 12v wire also, but just tells the HU when to turn on and off.

The amp has its own Power and Ground wires that run to it, the only thing at the HU that connects to the amp is the remote turn on lead(when the HU is on it tells the amp to turn on: serves the same purpose as the 12v switched turn on for the HU, but just for the amp)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by havhon

My wiring harness doesn't have a wire running into the remote wire spot I'm only using the one on the back of the hu

Quick Reply: Installing new HU.....wiring question, HELP!!