Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installing an amp

Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Installing an amp

Have a 2011 XLT SCrew non-Sony radio. I have replaced the door speakers but also want to add an amp while keeping the factory radio by installing a LOC. To those of you who did this, where did you tap the speakers wires? Did you tap behind the HU or in the kick panel and B pillar? Thanks

Last edited by Tallyman89; 02-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

I finally figured it out last week. I ended up installing a PAC audio LOC, a SOEM-T two-channel. What was nice about this LOC is I could install it behind my rear seats rather than tearing into the dash.

That said, I used some extra wire I had lying around to tap into the rear speaker wires in the pillar between the front and rear doors. The wire colors are exactly the same as the 2010. I believe it was brown white +, brown blue - on the passenger side. I can't remember the driver side, they were something funky, but do a quick search on this forum and there is a thread that lists them. I used quick taps right behind the harness plug in the pillars, and ran the wires back to the LOC behind the seat.

The only wire you have to run using this method from the front of the truck is your power wire. There is a big rubber grommet under the hood on the passenger side, and on the upper side of it a nubbin about the size of a nickle. Cut that nubbin off and you have an instant grommet pass through for the power wire. Run it back and hook it up.

Hook up the power, remote and ground from the LOC to the amp, hook up the power and ground to the amp, wire the sub and you are good to go. I need to clean up the wires from my install, but bottom line, it was easy, and it worked.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I had to cut a big slice into that grommet to fit my Kicker 1/0 GA wire. I put some fire retardant wire loom too keep its from getting cut on the firewall. I then added black weatherstrip sealant to help seal against water.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed this in my truck- 2010 XLT Screw
It is a PAC AOEMFRD-24, plugs into the stereo and the harness. I mounted it behind the glove box for easy access to the gains or replacement-Just pop open the glove box let the door down and there you are.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Texas Dwight
I just installed this in my truck- 2010 XLT Screw
It is a PAC AOEMFRD-24, plugs into the stereo and the harness. I mounted it behind the glove box for easy access to the gains or replacement-Just pop open the glove box let the door down and there you are.
Do you have Sync? If so does it and the steering wheel controls still work with this? Thanks

Last edited by Tallyman89; 02-21-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and Yes
I do have sync and the steering wheel controls still operate correctly-
Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

It's not listed for a 2011 so I sent them an email. They said it has not been tested yet but I am tempted to try it anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing an amp