Just got finished with round 1. I cut out my templates. In order to do that, I had to fabricate a make shift template out of cardboard (not shown) because Polk Audio did not include a 6x9 template with these speakers. As you can see in this picture, I have two of my 6x9's, my cross-overs and a small 1/2" sheet of birch wood.
After I was finished measuring out (rough measurements) of where each 6x9 template was going to be cut from, I took my wood outside and started cutting out the centers of my templates where the 6x9's will mount up..
After cutting the hole out, I made sure the speaker would physically fit inside the newly cut out hole..
For piece of mind, I traced around the speaker basket..
Then I took a washer and again, I traced around the speaker basket. This time, I inserted a pencil in the middle of washer and that provided a small amount of extra surface area for the 6x9..
I squared off the speaker template by using a 90 degree angle ruler. I used a dremel wheel (because I couldn't find a bigger washer.. haha). I repeated the same process as the washer and make the edges of the template a tad bit bigger. This will help when you mount the template to the door for a little extra area for a bolt to go through..
After I made the necessary cuts, my template emerged. I simply sanded it down a bit and this is more or less the final product..