Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installing '12 to '13 Sync in '11 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installing '12 to '13 Sync in '11 F-150

I have a lot of problems and headaches with my '11 F-150, specifically with the Microsoft Sync system. It will drop my USB connection, sporadically connects via Bluetooth with my iPhone, and fails to recognize voice commands. I kid-you-not when I say that I've used the word "bitch" and the Sync listens!

Anyway, I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and doing some serious electrical and electronics work. I have a college education in electronics. Anywho, is it possible to "swap out" the Sync system and accompanying components? I plan on doing a slide-in install with a Google Nexus 7, so losing a head unit wouldn't be a total loss.

If there is an easier fix, that would help me out a LOT. But, having the App Connectivity with Pandora with a newer Sync system would be very cool.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM

I forgot to say that my F-150 is a 2011 XLT Regular Cab. With the Nexus 7 install I'd love to install new speakers all around, and install some Dynamat like material in the doors.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You would have to replace the APIM and I don't think it would be plug-n-play, the wiring specifically on the 13 has different wire connectors and is not backwards compatible with any previous year model.

Is it still under warranty? If so the dealer might have an update they can flash it with.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You would have to replace the APIM and I don't think it would be plug-n-play, the wiring specifically on the 13 has different wire connectors and is not backwards compatible with any previous year model. Is it still under warranty? If so the dealer might have an update they can flash it with. .
I think there might be an update, but, my dealership doesn't like dealing with issues like mine. They didn't when I brought it in for other problems they couldn't reproduce. If the update is one that I could do at home, or elsewhere, If do it.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM

It still is under warranty, but, I've taken my truck down with issues they couldn't reproduce or address. They are one of those dealerships with the overall mentality of "if we can't get it to do the same thing, then there isn't a problem." Unless I can SHOW them the problem then I doubt they would do any updates or TSBs.

What I also find frustrating is the horrid syncmyride.com website. I've tried to go there and download the updater to see if I needed a Sync update. Last I was there, the damn site only worked with an OLDER version of Internet Explorer.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuffbot
It still is under warranty, but, I've taken my truck down with issues they couldn't reproduce or address. They are one of those dealerships with the overall mentality of "if we can't get it to do the same thing, then there isn't a problem." Unless I can SHOW them the problem then I doubt they would do any updates or TSBs.

What I also find frustrating is the horrid syncmyride.com website. I've tried to go there and download the updater to see if I needed a Sync update. Last I was there, the damn site only worked with an OLDER version of Internet Explorer.
Works on Chrome. I would check for updates. My 2011 needed one right after I bought it.....Easy to do once you have it loaded on the usb.

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 02-28-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

BG1T-14D544-AD
This software update is based on your feedback and contains improvements to the SYNC voice recognition system. This means that SYNC will now have the ability to better understand your commands and act quickly. Please Read: This update will take up to 5 minutes to complete. Approximately 40 seconds after you begin the installation, you will receive an Installation Complete message. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR USB DRIVE OR TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE. You must wait an additional 4-5 minutes until you receive a second Installation Complete message before removing your USB drive. During this interval, while the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
BG1T-14D544-AD This software update is based on your feedback and contains improvements to the SYNC voice recognition system. This means that SYNC will now have the ability to better understand your commands and act quickly. Please Read: This update will take up to 5 minutes to complete. Approximately 40 seconds after you begin the installation, you will receive an Installation Complete message. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR USB DRIVE OR TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE. You must wait an additional 4-5 minutes until you receive a second Installation Complete message before removing your USB drive. During this interval, while the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.
How do I get the download? Go to the www.syncmyride.com website? Last I went there, it didn't recognize my most up to date version of Internet Explorer.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You need to downgrade to IE 10. Also if your located any where near New Orleans I can flash the APIM for you if the usb update does not address the issue.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You need to downgrade to IE 10. Also if your located any where near New Orleans I can flash the APIM for you if the usb update does not address the issue. .
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Tucson, AZ.

Quick Reply: Installing '12 to '13 Sync in '11 F-150