Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installed a new amp..getting a static pop on turn on help

Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installed a new amp..getting a static pop on turn on help

I just got a new cadence zrs9.. Okay installed it and everything was perfect sounds great. So I went out of town and came back. Started the truck up and the speakers take a second or two longer to come on than usually and then there is a distorted pop that comes through. I them turned it off and started it again no problem. Well I go to the store come out start it and it happens again...and I notice that my sub amp comes on before my new highs amp turns on and I get that pop..please help I'm grounded to the back wall I used my dremel to get the paint off..anyone have these issues I'm using the pac oem unit
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I have something similar in that my amp turns on when I open the door, then off, then on when I start the truck during which time I get a little bump from the sub which is barely audible unless I listen for it. I am using a high level turn on signal for my Alpine MRX50. My installer says the on/off has to do with the way Fords have entry lights which triggers voltage to my radio because it lights up briefly when I open the door as well. Not sure this helps you at all, but I am no longer concerned.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM

Yeah any help is appreciated I just get a weird static bump and its kinda crappy my old eclispe didn't have this issue or maybe I couldn't hear it idk? Just sucks
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfx
Yeah any help is appreciated I just get a weird static bump and its kinda crappy my old eclispe didn't have this issue or maybe I couldn't hear it idk? Just sucks
If it is really that loud it I would attribute it to a dirty signal coming from somewhere. You could also try another ground if ain't too much trouble.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM

I just did another screw on the back wall, those seat belt bolts are a pita to get off, where is everyone else grounding their Amps
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a bracket on the back wall that is the perfect size to put a bolt for securing the ground terminal. Simply sand the area where the connection will be made. Easy peezy and it works great.

The bracket is on the vehicle right side behind the carpet in the back wall. I checked the bond with a multimeter and it makes an excellent ground.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an amp quality or defect issue or a bad/poor ground. As for the installer telling 1 guy its a Ford issue I call 100% BS. I installed a system on my 01 F250 with no issues and just did my 09 F150 and dont have any issues. I did use the upper bracket but took off all the paint on the bracket, both sides where it will come in contact with the bolt head and the connector as well as the wall in that area of contact. My current amp also has a soft start turn on meaning it wont allow a huge inrush of current when it first powers on which can aid in eliminating that issue.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 AM

Well I just did some searching and found the whole test with taking out the rca's from the source and turning the truck on and I didn't get a thump, or noise so it's not the amp, I just switched the highs amp to its on ground on the wall of my cab still got some static maybe it's my pac oem device?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfx
Well I just did some searching and found the whole test with taking out the rca's from the source and turning the truck on and I didn't get a thump, or noise so it's not the amp, I just switched the highs amp to its on ground on the wall of my cab still got some static maybe it's my pac oem device?
What exactly did u do in the test?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Basically I took the rcas off my pac kept them hooked on to the amp and turned the truck on if the problem was soley the amp I should have heard a thump once the amp kicked on right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed a new amp..getting a static pop on turn on help