Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installed Lockpick and WD TV Live

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installed Lockpick and WD TV Live

Picked up a 2013 with the MyFord Touch a few weeks ago and wanted to add some increased functionality and options to the existing system. First of all I wanted to be able to play video through the system. The only way to get video into the system is through the rca jacks in the center console. Not the ideal way to input video, but workable. Originally was going to use an android tablet and add a converter box to take the hdmi out of the tablet to the rca jacks. While looking for info on this I ran across setups where individuals had installed a WD TV Live in their vehicle. If you are not familiar with this little box it is a pretty powerful little device. I have one in my house for the purpose of streaming all of my media from a Plex Media Sever that I run on a desktop computer. It will also play Netflix, Hulu, etc. Not quite as good as a Roku for streaming media from the internet, but much better at streaming local media, there are not many file formats it will not play. You can attach a usb stick, or even a usb hard drive directly to it also. Another good thing about it is that the plugin transformer outputs 12VDC, which means you can tie it directly into power in your vehicle but just cutting the cord and making the appropriate connections to power and ground.

The other thing I wanted was the ability for my little girl to be able to watch these videos on the touchscreen, and to also be able to input navigation commands while the vehicle was moving. On the Kenwood I had in my previous truck you could simply ground the parking brake wire and bypass all of the safeties. From all of the information I could discover the only way to bypass this with the MyFord Touch was with an aftermarket device such as the LockPick. They have a ton of info on this on their website and even have a detailed install video specifically for a 2013 F150. For anyone looking to see in detail how to take apart the dash, whether for this or an aftermarket radio, this video is great. They show every step in a 13 minute video, made the install much easier than I expected it would be. The only negative with this device is that it is pretty pricely, but can be purchased cheaper at other internet vendors than directly from the manufacturer.

I was able to complete the install of both the Lockpick and the WD Live in about an hour, and that was with me carefully taking my time with my brand new truck, and not having any experience with this particular dash. The Lockpick works as advertised, very easy to install, plug and play, and even had the power wires available and marked that I used to power the WD Live. The WD Live inputs flawlessly to the touchscreen, and gives me the ability with an attached drive to have a huge inventory of movies, music, etc. available a remote click away. The only addition I plan on making is to add a PAC IR-X infrared extender. I wanted to keep the WD Live in the console, but the remote will only work with the lid open. This $25 device will allow me to mount a remote eye somewhere up front and route it to the extender in the console so the remote will work from anywhere in the truck.

If anyone is interested I can take some pics or answer any specific questions.
The following users liked this post:
xaoc25 (09-15-2014)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko2012
Picked up a 2013 with the MyFord Touch a few weeks ago and wanted to add some increased functionality and options to the existing system. First of all I wanted to be able to play video through the system. The only way to get video into the system is through the rca jacks in the center console. Not the ideal way to input video, but workable. Originally was going to use an android tablet and add a converter box to take the hdmi out of the tablet to the rca jacks. While looking for info on this I ran across setups where individuals had installed a WD TV Live in their vehicle. If you are not familiar with this little box it is a pretty powerful little device. I have one in my house for the purpose of streaming all of my media from a Plex Media Sever that I run on a desktop computer. It will also play Netflix, Hulu, etc. Not quite as good as a Roku for streaming media from the internet, but much better at streaming local media, there are not many file formats it will not play. You can attach a usb stick, or even a usb hard drive directly to it also. Another good thing about it is that the plugin transformer outputs 12VDC, which means you can tie it directly into power in your vehicle but just cutting the cord and making the appropriate connections to power and ground.

The other thing I wanted was the ability for my little girl to be able to watch these videos on the touchscreen, and to also be able to input navigation commands while the vehicle was moving. On the Kenwood I had in my previous truck you could simply ground the parking brake wire and bypass all of the safeties. From all of the information I could discover the only way to bypass this with the MyFord Touch was with an aftermarket device such as the LockPick. They have a ton of info on this on their website and even have a detailed install video specifically for a 2013 F150. For anyone looking to see in detail how to take apart the dash, whether for this or an aftermarket radio, this video is great. They show every step in a 13 minute video, made the install much easier than I expected it would be. The only negative with this device is that it is pretty pricely, but can be purchased cheaper at other internet vendors than directly from the manufacturer.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h_5mKgKw0

I was able to complete the install of both the Lockpick and the WD Live in about an hour, and that was with me carefully taking my time with my brand new truck, and not having any experience with this particular dash. The Lockpick works as advertised, very easy to install, plug and play, and even had the power wires available and marked that I used to power the WD Live. The WD Live inputs flawlessly to the touchscreen, and gives me the ability with an attached drive to have a huge inventory of movies, music, etc. available a remote click away. The only addition I plan on making is to add a PAC IR-X infrared extender. I wanted to keep the WD Live in the console, but the remote will only work with the lid open. This $25 device will allow me to mount a remote eye somewhere up front and route it to the extender in the console so the remote will work from anywhere in the truck.

If anyone is interested I can take some pics or answer any specific questions.
I'd like to see the live tv
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wait a second.. You got video to play on your my touch screen using the rca's in the consoul? with out the lock pick?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It will play video fine while in park without the Lockpick.

Quick Reply: Installed Lockpick and WD TV Live