Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installed Kenwood DNX690HD with Maestro and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Installed Kenwood DNX690HD with Maestro and have a few questions

Everything seems to be working so far...after a hiccup or two. But I have a couple questions right now.

I get sound through all the speakers when listening to satellite radio, USB, etc but when I try to listen through bluetooth audio in Sync it only gives me audio through the front speakers. Is there any way to get music through the rear speakers as well?

When navigating to somewhere is there any way to mute the navigation's voice? Most of the time I just need to see it....very rarely do I need to actually hear a voice prompt. I looked around for a bit but I see no place where it will allow me to mute her. Please for the love of god let there be a way to shut her up... lol Oh yeah I would like to mute the button beeps as well.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but those are two that stick out right now. Any info you guys can come up with will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get your manual from here if you don't have it.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Ca...wners_Manuals/

Look at page 84 and it shows you how to change the bluetooth setting from front speakers only to all speakers. I had the same issue when I installed my Kenwood and this took care of it.
The following users liked this post:
Largefarva (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM

Thanks for that info. I see what you're talking about...I'll have to go out and try that in a little bit. Any ideas on how to shut the garmin lady up?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Alright, I got the rear speakers working with bluetooth audio. It sounds so much better. This head unit really woke up the speakers I had installed (just cheap Alpine components in the front and Kicker 6x8's in the rear).

I did see on another thread here (the Maestro and DNX890 one) that guys were able to put a Ford emblem as their background. Where did they get the image from, and did they just use the procedure from the owners manual to upload it to their head unit? Or did they do the more complicated method that I've seen on youtube that involves holding different buttons down on startup etc?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Alright...I figured out how to mute the garmin lady. Google FTW. There's a couple different places to mute her. One is in the garmin settings under navigation...just unclick the voice prompt option. The other is under the head unit setup settings under navigation....you'll see the option to mute it on that screen. If anyone else needs a step by step I can look it up and provide it.

Now...I just need to change my background and all will be good to go.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Broke out my windows laptop today and got the background changed...so that's done.

Now only issue that I'm having is sometimes the satellite radio doesn't play sound after boot up. It'll show the channel number, name, artist, and song title but just doesn't have any sound. Rebooting by either shutting down and powering up the head unit or turning my truck off and restarting it has gotten it to start playing sound again. Also, changing the channel and going back will fix it in most cases I discovered yesterday.

I can tell when it's going to happen because the Sync display above the head unit will flash "Check Tuner" but it's always gone away except once this afternoon, it stayed on until I rebooted the unit.

I ended up pulling the stereo out to check the connections to the satellite tuner (SXV200V1) and to the head unit...and nothing was loose or anything. So made a call to Kenwood to see if it's an issue they've heard of and of course they said no. They're blaming it on the satellite tuner. So if it keeps on happening I might have to give Crutchfield a call to get it replaced. Has anyone else had this issue happen with theirs?

I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the Maestro unit...as it seems to coincide with the connecting of my iphone with Sync. When it would flash that "Check Tuner" message it would be the same length of time that I get the message that my phone is connected, 911 assist enabled, etc.

Last edited by Largefarva; 04-29-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Largefarva
Broke out my windows laptop today and got the background changed...so that's done.

Now only issue that I'm having is sometimes the satellite radio doesn't play sound after boot up. It'll show the channel number, name, artist, and song title but just doesn't have any sound. Rebooting by either shutting down and powering up the head unit or turning my truck off and restarting it has gotten it to start playing sound again. Also, changing the channel and going back will fix it in most cases I discovered yesterday.

I can tell when it's going to happen because the Sync display above the head unit will flash "Check Tuner" but it's always gone away except once this afternoon, it stayed on until I rebooted the unit.

I ended up pulling the stereo out to check the connections to the satellite tuner (SXV200V1) and to the head unit...and nothing was loose or anything. So made a call to Kenwood to see if it's an issue they've heard of and of course they said no. They're blaming it on the satellite tuner. So if it keeps on happening I might have to give Crutchfield a call to get it replaced. Has anyone else had this issue happen with theirs?

I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the Maestro unit...as it seems to coincide with the connecting of my iphone with Sync. When it would flash that "Check Tuner" message it would be the same length of time that I get the message that my phone is connected, 911 assist enabled, etc.

The message you are seeing is a message in the Kenwood related to the SXV200 tuner and does not have anything to do with Maestro. Kenwood Tech support should be able to tell you what error condition causes this message to happen.

Best,
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM

The only reason I was wondering if it might have something to do with the Maestro unit is because it flashes that message on the Sync display above the head unit. I did talk with Kenwood and they haven't heard of this issue as of yet. They're thinking it's possibly a faulty satellite tuner.

As long as I let the head unit fully boot up it will start up and I won't have any issues with not having any sound on satellite radio, but nine times out of ten the Sync display will flash a "check tuner" message right before it displays the SXM 1 and song title. I've paid closer attention to what's going on with the head unit at the same time I get the message and the head unit is usually blank because it hasn't fully booted up yet.....so it doesn't happen while the head unit is displaying the messages that it's connected to my phone, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone with a 2011 or 2012 that has this head unit or even the 890HD with SXV200 satellite tuner could check the next few times they start up their truck (with it set to SiriusXM playing on shut down) to pay close attention to the Sync display above the head unit and see if it flashes a "check tuner" message. If others are seeing this then I'll stop worrying about it...but if it's possible I have a faulty satellite tuner or even head unit I need to get a hold of Crutchfield to get it exchanged. Thanks guys.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Largefarva
The only reason I was wondering if it might have something to do with the Maestro unit is because it flashes that message on the Sync display above the head unit. I did talk with Kenwood and they haven't heard of this issue as of yet. They're thinking it's possibly a faulty satellite tuner.

As long as I let the head unit fully boot up it will start up and I won't have any issues with not having any sound on satellite radio, but nine times out of ten the Sync display will flash a "check tuner" message right before it displays the SXM 1 and song title. I've paid closer attention to what's going on with the head unit at the same time I get the message and the head unit is usually blank because it hasn't fully booted up yet.....so it doesn't happen while the head unit is displaying the messages that it's connected to my phone, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone with a 2011 or 2012 that has this head unit or even the 890HD with SXV200 satellite tuner could check the next few times they start up their truck (with it set to SiriusXM playing on shut down) to pay close attention to the Sync display above the head unit and see if it flashes a "check tuner" message. If others are seeing this then I'll stop worrying about it...but if it's possible I have a faulty satellite tuner or even head unit I need to get a hold of Crutchfield to get it exchanged. Thanks guys.
Hi,

The reason the message shows up on the factory Ford screen is that Maestro will put whatever data the Kenwood is displaying on it's screen on that display. We don't process or read the messages, we just pass them along and show them there. Anyone without Maestro would only see this message on the Kenwood screen. You see it in both places... However, it remains an issue with the Aftermarket tuner communicating with the Kenwood radio.

Hope this is clear.

Best,
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Yeah that's what I was figuring. So I'm also wondering if anyone else is seeing the "check tuner" flashing on the sync display while its booting up. If others are getting the message as well then I'll just assume its normal. If not, then I'll have to start exchanging the head unit and satellite tuner to make sure I'm not going to have something crap out on me later on.

Quick Reply: Installed Kenwood DNX690HD with Maestro and have a few questions