Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Install Parrot to 07 FX4 w/ Audiophile

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Install Parrot to 07 FX4 w/ Audiophile

There have been some good bits and pieces in these forums regarding installing aftermarket HU's with the factory sub, or adding a Parrot hands-free kit, and installation tips...but I am trying to put it all together to accomplish my goal. I want to use the stock radio (6 Disc MP3 HU with the Phone Mute button) and keep the stock amp and subwoofer, but add the Parrot Mki9200. Its the cheapest route to add A2DP music streaming that is integrated into the system, and has decent call quality and non-integrated steering wheel controls (since my truck does have the audio controls on the steering wheel).

Someone cautioned me on using the Parrot, as it could bypass the subwoofer. Since I will be using this to mainly stream podcasts & Pandora from my smartphone (in addition to navigation directions when needed), I wanted the subwoofer to be included. I saw that some companies provide harnesses that provide near plug-n-play installation. The first company I researched was quickconnects.com. I asked them if their harness would include or bypass the stock subwoofer. He was not sure. Then I asked installer.com. It went against their online configuration recommendation that said that I would need two products, but the guy who helped me directed me to this single solution and said that he contacted that manufacturer and verified that it will work despite the fact that the product description says that it only works for NON-AMPLIFIED kits.

So, my questions are:

1. Is installer.com a reputable source? I havent found many references on this audio sub-forum about this vendor.

2. Should I take their specific advice and order the one part, or go by their website and order the two parts?

3. Are there better vendors to use to find a connector/harness that requires no splicing?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

There is no audio input available on the 24 pin connector to the radio, as such, the parrot must be acting like sync and adding the signal to the mid/high speaker leads from the radio. The sub is crossed over and output separately from the mids/highs via the 8 pin connector.

You'll need to find something that uses the 16 pin aux connector on the back of the head to use the audiophile sub output.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM

I only see one product in the two products, link, but looking that item (Peripheral FCSS2) up looks like it may use the 16 pin input: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1184

Also, from what I've seen, installer.com's prices are high.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
I only see one product in the two products, link, but looking that item (Peripheral FCSS2) up looks like it may use the 16 pin input: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1184

Also, from what I've seen, installer.com's prices are high.
My apologies...the main product references PT-3200, which I didnt not link. That part claims it needs both parts, though.

If you think their prices are high, who/where would you point me? Back to the quickconnects website?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM

There is no audio input available on the 24 pin connector to the radio, as such, the parrot must be acting like sync and adding the signal to the mid/high speaker leads from the radio. The sub is crossed over and output separately from the mids/highs via the 8 pin connector.

You'll need to find something that uses the 16 pin aux connector on the back of the head to use the audiophile sub output.
Does the Parrot kit interrupt the output, and not the input? I could be mistaken, but I thought that is how the Parrot worked...interrupting the output.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM

That FCSS2 looks like it adds the phone as a new input (via the mute/phone button that was designed for trip tunes). The other harness looks like it interrupts the door speaker signal output.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM

That FCSS2 looks like it adds the phone as a new input (via the mute/phone button that was designed for trip tunes). The other harness looks like it interrupts the door speaker signal output.
Thats what I want to happen. Will this also include the subwoofer?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by djjr50
Thats what I want to happen. Will this also include the subwoofer?
No
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM

No
Darn!

So is there a harness that incorporates the subwoofer output into one of these harnesses? Or can I splice the sub output through this harness somehow? Or do I find a harness that integrates with the amp?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM

You could run a line output converter off of the Parrot outputs and low pass crossover it and add it to the sub output from the head unit. It might be hard to tune though.

Quick Reply: Install Parrot to 07 FX4 w/ Audiophile