Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Inline amp install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Inline amp install

To all of those running an inline amp like the Alpine 445U (90W peak, 45W rms) between the stock head unit, and aftermarket speakers in the doors...

Is the stock wiring from the head unit to the speakers good enough to handle the power from the amp? Or does new wiring need to be run?

If maintaining the stock wiring, and using something like the PAC adapter to get the signal from the HU to the AMP, what do you do then, cut the speaker wiring coming from out from the stock harness, and splice the output wires from the amp to the speaker wires?

I've attached a drawing of what I'm thinking about doing (Please excuse the ****-poor diagram, an artist, I am not).

Since I drew that, I realized that if that would work, so would cutting the wires on the PAC adapter output side, basically, just to the right of the "Stock WH" connector on my drawing. This would preserve the integrity of the stock wiring.

Thoughts?

I've heard some people talking about losing sync sound when they wire up an inline amp, will wiring it like this avoid that issue?

Thanks!
-Andy
Attached Thumbnails Inline amp install-photo.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

cut the pac wires not the stock wires
The following users liked this post:
IowaSTX (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
cut the pac wires not the stock wires
That's what I was thinking after I drew that diagram, thanks for the confirmation.

The real question is, will the stock wiring handle 45W RMS, and 90W peak, or is that asking for an electrical fire?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Also, to anyone that might know, where do the stock tweeters get their signal from?

A) Is there a dedicated wire from the HU up to them?
B) Do they split off from the front speaker wire somewhere up the line?

Basically, if I wire the Alpine in line with the door speakers from the PAC harness, will the tweeters be getting the extra juice too?

I was planning on replacing the tweeters with infinity Reference at the same time, so if they are getting the extra juice they should be able to handle it. Just curious to know how that worked.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaSTX
Also, to anyone that might know, where do the stock tweeters get their signal from?

A) Is there a dedicated wire from the HU up to them?
B) Do they split off from the front speaker wire somewhere up the line?

Basically, if I wire the Alpine in line with the door speakers from the PAC harness, will the tweeters be getting the extra juice too?

I was planning on replacing the tweeters with infinity Reference at the same time, so if they are getting the extra juice they should be able to handle it. Just curious to know how that worked.
If you don't have as Sony HU then they get their power off the main door speaker. Factory uses a cap to keep the low frequencies out. I would replace the speakers as a unit and not just the tweeters.

Quick Reply: Inline amp install