Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

I'm an idiot, I know...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default I'm an idiot, I know...

...I know absolutley nothing about upgrading audio systems above and beyond replacing speakers. I have searched and read until my head is spinning, but can't find anything dumbed down enough for me.

I have the "700 Watt Sony System" - it's ok, but not anything to brag about. I have done the Kicker sub upgrade and it over powers the rest of the system. I want to add a DSP and amp to power the front/rear speakers with the factory head unit. Can someone please point me to exactly what I need with step by step instructions. I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions, but this audio stuff is voodoo science to me...
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (04-23-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by arokcrwlr
...I know absolutley nothing about upgrading audio systems above and beyond replacing speakers. I have searched and read until my head is spinning, but can't find anything dumbed down enough for me.

I have the "700 Watt Sony System" - it's ok, but not anything to brag about. I have done the Kicker sub upgrade and it over powers the rest of the system. I want to add a DSP and amp to power the front/rear speakers with the factory head unit. Can someone please point me to exactly what I need with step by step instructions. I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions, but this audio stuff is voodoo science to me...
You will need to locate the factory amp under the center console. Then find the wires for your door speakers. Run them into your DSP. Then run the DSP into your new amp. Then speaker wires from the amp to your door speakers.

Before doing all that I would replace the door speakers. Easy to do and less expensive. Also maybe your sub level is turned up too high

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 04-22-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

If youd like to do what you are saying then bring it to an Audio Shop with your lack of knowledge... or continue to read A LOT of info.

I would replace all 4 speakers and youll be good.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
If youd like to do what you are saying then bring it to an Audio Shop with your lack of knowledge... or continue to read A LOT of info.

I would replace all 4 speakers and youll be good.
Haha, I am strongly considering taking it somewhere to get a DSP and a 4 channel amp installed. I'll keep reading and maybe a light bulb will go on...

I'm definitely replacing the speakers - that I can do. Will do that first to see if that makes a difference, but I suspect that I will still want an amp.

Thanks for the replies...

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot, I know...