Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

How much does dynamat help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much does dynamat help?

I just installed an Alpine 445U and 2 pair of Focal PS 165, 6.5s. I kept the factory head unit. I am fairly happy with the sound, but need to spend some time with the tweeter levels. They are plenty bright. I think I need to add a powered sub.

I am going to pull the rear door panels to get to the tweeter controls so I was wondering how much dynamat would help and exactly what would it do?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes it does help and quite a bit actually....It helps the doors from vibrating causing unwanted noise, it also keeps unwanted sound waves from being created during the vibrating metal. It won't make your tweeter less bright just fyi.

There are several companies that make "sound deadener." My last care i used Dynomat and like it, this time i used "KnuKonceptz Kno Knoise" and i'm very happy with it.

Adding a powered sub makes a world of difference.

I also would recommend "F.A.S.T. Rings" -its a foam that goes around the speaker in the front and rear to help direct the mid bass and not get any waves canceled out. I used for the first time today and they work well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shelbie67:
crabo (03-03-2016), Toddman38 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Dynamat is pretty expensive, so I plan on using Peel & Seal I got from Lowe's.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...=aluminum+tape

Some people have said it leaves a tar smell, but if you Google it, or read the reviews from Lowe's and HD, pretty much all the people that actually have been using it said it dissipates and leaves no smell afterwards.

I have the same amp as you, as well as the Kicker Hideaway (which makes a huge difference!) I will be installing some JBL's in the fronts, leaving the rears alone for now. I'm also going to disconnect the center speaker, and if the highs ares still too harsh after the new speakers, I'll disconnect the tweeters in the pillars since the JBL's are 3-way anyway.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used both Dynomat and the cheaper stuff off of Ebay in several of my vehicles and they both work very well by reducing vibrations from the speakers and also blocks out road noise which is a huge plus. Dynomat is more expensive but it is definitely a lot thicker than the knock off brands. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the two (performance wise) so I elected to use the cheaper sound deadener off Ebay in my FX2 Screw and am happy with it. I havent noticed any smell from either.

One thing I did notice is the extra weight of the doors. Not a problem other than be careful opening your doors close to other cars or walls/poles. The extra weight tends to make the doors want to swing open instead of staying put...especially in my sloped parking garage lol

Unless you are planning on entering competitions (which I'm not), then whatever you use should work just fine.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I used RAAMmat when I did the stereo in my 2010 Screw. As stated above I am not entering any competitions so I went the cheaper route. It adhered well and when I pulled my door panel the other day to mess with a loose connection it was all still there where I had stuck it. Link
Old 03-04-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Best deal going is Stinger's Roadkill which I have used. I gave up deciding on which to use. All I will say is remove the rear insulation panel from your cab. Simple to remove when you fold down the seats. And apply it to everywhere but the vents. I also put it underneath of where the factory sub is in located as well. Hands down this makes the biggest difference in noise.

http://amzn.to/1pqIWnP
Old 03-04-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a big fan of SecondSkin for deadener plus it being black looks good once installed. As far as noticing a difference, if you do your doors inside and outer layer with 100% coverage it can gain you a very noticeable increase in midbass and over sound quality from you mids by creating a better enclosure and not allowing backwaves to cancel out sounds. Tweeter has to be adjusted with the crossover or radio to make any difference with it.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 PM
Truck Noob

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used GTmat. I got the pure 100% butyl rubber. 36 Squarefeet was plenty to do the doors where the speakers were, and I used the standard roll 50 squarefeet for the inner (outer wall) of the truck... worked awesomely.. So total would be approx 150ish dollars for both. the place that installed my stuff sold Hushmat (expensive) one of the door installers was impressed with the quality of the GTmat 100% butyl rubber, especially since it was WAY less expensive than the "name brands".

The which is better has been talked about for years. The percentage of Butyl rubber is what makes the difference in the high quality stuff, so going for the onyx 100% butyl rubber was a no brainer. Sound quality guys use their stuff and it works great.

if you call in they give a 10% discount (at least they did for me), so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quick Reply: How much does dynamat help?