Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

How to basics ... mount amp rack, get to center console, etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Default How to basics ... mount amp rack, get to center console, etc

I have everything ordered and its arriving daily but I'm having problems searching for How To information on the physical installation. Here's what I'm curious about:

1) How are you getting to the back wall of the truck? Are you just lowering the rear seats or actually removing them? Lowering seems easy but removal seems like its not as obvious.

2) How do you mount your carpetted MDF to the rear wall of the truck?

3) How does one go about removing the center console to access the Sony Amp? Surely there's a YouTube or some quick and easy instructions somewhere.
EDIT - Found this link to remove the center console. 6 quick screws and it'll be out. That's good news.

Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited by sharper4; 04-01-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What factory system do you have (Sony, Nav?) and what are you planning on putting in for HU, amp, speakers, processor, etc?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the stock Sony Nav unit. I'm adding an amp and subs (mostly). I planned to the put the amp and LOCs on some kind of MDF that's mounted on the rear wall. I just don't know how people are fastening the MDF to the wall.

Is there enough room to work with back there without having to take the seat OFF or can it just be tilted all the way forward?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts

I finished mine yesterday. The mdf is screwed to the back wall and I didn't take the seats out.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with the install. The reason I asked what you plan on installing is the that the factory Sony Nav HU is not your typical animal. The output levels are very atypical from what I've been told and a processor before the amp is optimal but would require an additional volume control as you would lose it by taking the factory amp out of the equation. I have a thread started in the Aftermarket Audio section asking for advice.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how I mounted to my back wall. I removed the entire fabric piece that covers the back first. Then, and here comes the tedious part. I cut the top 6-8 inches including the part that goes around the seatbelt and back window motor. I then butted that up to a piece of MDF large enough to reach from side to side and go down to the floor. I also cut a hole in the MDF where the window motor is and a slot for the seat belt. I also cut out slots for the cabin vents that are on the back wall. I lined everything up and recovered with new fabric. Between the wall and the MDF, I used double sided Carpet tape to hang a piece of carpet padding to the wall. Then I hung the MDF piece on the wall using some (I forget what they are called) U-shaped clip-nuts. For bolts I used some kind of furnitue allen drive bolt that only sticks out from the board about 1/16th of an inch. I wish I had better pics of the way I did it, but I just didn't take the time. The wife was helping with this project and she just doesn't get it, so I was trying to finish up as quick as I could.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How to basics ... mount amp rack, get to center console, etc