Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

High end equipment, low end install... (Fix 82, Morel, Arc Audio)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default High end equipment, low end install... (Fix 82, Morel, Arc Audio)

I won't waste your time with pictures, as there is little to show right now. When I fiberglass the kick panels in, I'll definitely take pics of that process, but it's not show worthy yet. This phase of the install was focused on running wires the right way and just getting the sound in the truck before the Alaskan winter shows its face.

Here's the rundown:

Processor: JL Audio Fix 82
Front Stage: Morel Virtus 603 3 way component set
Rear Fill: N/A
Sub: TBD
Front stage amp: Arc Audio KS 300.4
Sub Amp: JL Audio 500/1

I pulled the seats and carpet to make running the wire easier. While in there, I put down some peel and seal equivalent. It's not the best, but it did A LITTLE, and I wanted it out of the garage. Spend your money on real deadener.

The amps are mounted behind the rear seats, just screwed to the stock liner right now. I had them on a board, but it didn't fit, and I don't have time to rebuild it right now. We have friends coming into town, and I'll need every seat we can spare...so the install had to suffer for a few weeks.

Speaker wire was also run with the seats out. It runs right by the console and ends in the kick panels, where the crossover is mounted. The Fix 82 is in the center console. I ran new wires to the doors where the Morel 6.5" midbasses are mounted.

The mid and tweets are mounted on a baffle, just sitting in the floor by the kicks, for now. Eventually, I'll fiberglass pods for them down there, but time is driving their current state. For the baffle, I cut up a cutting board and finished the tear drop shape on the router table. The 6x8 to 6.5" adapters in the doors are also cutting board. The rationale for that is it's dense and it's waterproof.

The sub will go under the rear seat at some point, but I'm not even sure what I'll run yet. I have a 10w7 laying around, but that will take an immense amount of work, and take up a lot of space. Hauling two little kids gets in the way of stereo fun. The Sony sub will have to do for now.

The Morel components are simply stellar. Deadened doors will really make the midbasses come alive, but they're doing really well right now. The overall sound is very natural and realistic. I can't wait to get the mids and tweets into proper pods. The mid is a dome mid (looks like a big tweeter), so I'm not losing a lot of quality like I would if it was a normal speaker. It's mostly costing me imaging and sound stage, but not as much as I thought it would. The Arc amp makes plenty of clean power. I won't be hurting for sound anymore.

As far as my feed back on the Fix 82, I definitely recommend it. There are products out there that do as much, and then more, but not for the price I paid for this. I got it in an open box deal for less than half of the retail price. I'd prefer to run something like a Bit One, but the Fix 82 definitely works. I used the wire diagrams floating around the boards to tie it into the Sony amp, and ran a remote turn on wire from one of the switched 12v fuses in the fuse box.

Long story short: The Fix 82 is a solid product, Morel speakers are divine, Arc Audio makes great amps, I need to find a sum, and my install sucks to the point of not wanting to show it...but only for a while.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Iraq Lobster!

What's a thread without pics...

You're looking at the 'deadened' floor and the kick panel baffles. The finished product will probably be about that same size. I have full function of the e-brake and nobody has to compete with the speakers for foot room. They actually image fairly well for just being tossed in there. My 30 band EQ seems to have shat the proverbial bed, so that will be on the list of stuff to buy too.

Name:  20160723_185005_zpsevh1ysib.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  247.4 KB

Name:  20160808_114532_zpsnn9tehlf.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  172.0 KB

Name:  20160808_114542_zpsebpqrnmr.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  189.9 KB
Old 08-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude get to glassing I am in for what your doing!
Old 08-09-2016, 01:12 AM
Iraq Lobster!

haha, it won't be this week, but hopefully I'll get to it before the low temps keep the glass from setting.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get that uv glass !! Just need the sun shine !!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!
I am doing a similar build with a 2013 Lariat SCREW. I plan on using the factory speaker locations though.

Quick Reply: High end equipment, low end install... (Fix 82, Morel, Arc Audio)