Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

help with speaker whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with speaker whine

Hi All

Could you please let me know if you think I am in the right direction. I have 2010 xlt crew. I replaced all speakers and ran them of the stock head unit for a couple of weeks with no problems. I then installed a memphis 4 channel amp and hooked up only the right speakers to the amp (I am using the high level inputs not rca's). I then decided to check if everything so far sounds ok. With engine off there is a high pitch whine on the speakers hooked up to the memphis amp, even with the volume at low. I have my sub woofer amp (seperate amp) using the same ground point. The subwoofer works well with no noise. I assume this is because the subwoofer is a lower frequency. I then started the truck and even more noise on door speakers . Turn heater on and it gets worse. I assume I have a bad ground on my amp. i am going to try to rectify this. Do you think that is the problem or should I look elsewhere. I removed the main fuse to the amp to prevent any possible damage. I still have the left side hooked up to the stock head unit.

Last edited by mbnorton; 10-31-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Could be the onboard LOC on the amp, someone else on here had the same problem, used a cheap LOC from walmart and fixed it.

You can try hooking your ipod to the amp to make sure the noise is entering before the actual amp circuitry.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 PM

ok
I think I will move the inputs because they do run close to power feed. Are high level inputs affected by the power cable?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbnorton
ok
I think I will move the inputs because they do run close to power feed. Are high level inputs affected by the power cable?
No. Neither are normal RCA cables.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM

I do appreciate everyones suggestions. I have now made sure the ground is good at back of cab. This got rid of 90% of the noise. Now with truck shut off there is no noise. As soon as the truck is started there is noise with volume turned down. Fan etc now has no effect on it. I tried a loc from friends audio shop with no change. I did move wires away from power cable as a precaution. Did it help. not sure. I think I am going to make sure ground from cab to frame is good , frame to block is god etc. I will keep you updated.

Quick Reply: help with speaker whine