Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help with new Setup!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new Setup!

Hi all

I need a few pointers.

I will be building my audio setup in stages.
1: Replace stock speakers
2: Install Amp to run speakers
3: Install Amp + sub

Now i am looking at Focal and JL audio.
I cant justify spending the $$$ for the top of the range
but i will settle for the Mid range products.

I was thinking 3 way components for the front and
5x7 for the rear (dont want to try add a component setups to a supercab)

does anyone have any experience in this setup.
And any good pointers for me to know of.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

To save alot of hassle and time go with the 2-way components. Much easier to install in factory spots. Coax's are fine for the rears.

Originally Posted by lindsayhfitzgerald
Hi all

I need a few pointers.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lindsayhfitzgerald
Hi all

I need a few pointers.

Thanks
That's funny because JL and Focal are considered "mid range products"

Anyways, If I were you I'd run some 6.5's in the doors up front (type R maybe considering your budget) and a tweeter mounted in the sails (material depends on your music tastes) I would then run some cheap coaxial's in the back (probably wouldn't even amp them) then be done with it. As far as amplifier goes, take your pick between Kicker, JL (if you can save money on the speakers or buy used) Alpine, Crossfire, Audioque, Rockford Fosgate, etc.

Those are all middle of the road type products that can be had fairly easily. If you can, try to save a little bit of money buy buying slightly cheaper speakers, or used, and putting the extra $ into sound deadening material. Nice speakers don't mean **** if they're installed poorly

Hope that helps
Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

First and foremost:
Almost all audio companies offer; low, med, and high grade speakers.
With that said, sure JL and Focal both offer their own "low end" speakers. However, do I think the low end JL's compare to the low end Focals? Certainly not! It's not even fair to compare the high end Utopia's against the JL Evolution series.

To say Focal is "mid grade" is a ludicrous retort. Their high grade components are on the same or higher playing field than: Hertz, Rainbow, HAT, Audison, Morel, and others.

Sorry for hijacking.
Yes, if you can afford Focal, they make great component sets. Even the Polyglass series are aimed to please. Moreover, i would suggest any 6.5" two way component set up front. For the rears, any 5x7/6x8's will work, they are generally for fill and not overly imperative to the staging.

Once you decide on the speakers, then we can help match an amp to the chosen speakers ratings. A good 4-channel amp can range from 200-800+, so it mainly depens on your goals for the system and the budget.

Originally Posted by WorknProgress
That's funny because JL and Focal are considered "mid range products"

Anyways, If I were you I'd run some 6.5's in the doors up front (type R maybe considering your budget) and a tweeter mounted in the sails (material depends on your music tastes) I would then run some cheap coaxial's in the back (probably wouldn't even amp them) then be done with it. As far as amplifier goes, take your pick between Kicker, JL (if you can save money on the speakers or buy used) Alpine, Crossfire, Audioque, Rockford Fosgate, etc.

Those are all middle of the road type products that can be had fairly easily. If you can, try to save a little bit of money buy buying slightly cheaper speakers, or used, and putting the extra $ into sound deadening material. Nice speakers don't mean **** if they're installed poorly

Hope that helps
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

JL Audio which is very much overrated does make some damn fine equipment. Focal does make some of the best speakers on the planet. You can find comparable products by American Companies. I've always been a big fan of Image Dynamics, they test the **** out of their equipment to the point it pisses people off because it takes them sooooooo long to release anything. However, when they do release anything it will perform as intended.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibd2328
First and foremost:
Almost all audio companies offer; low, med, and high grade speakers.
With that said, sure JL and Focal both offer their own "low end" speakers. However, do I think the low end JL's compare to the low end Focals? Certainly not! It's not even fair to compare the high end Utopia's against the JL Evolution series.

To say Focal is "mid grade" is a ludicrous retort. Their high grade components are on the same or higher playing field than: Hertz, Rainbow, HAT, Audison, Morel, and others.
Not sure what your trying to say here. It's quite obvious how you feel about Focal, however the OP is asking about a particular type of speaker that will fit within his/her budget. Focal offers speakers in that particular spectrum, so I offered it as a suggestion. I did not put a limiting instruction on my suggestion saying that "Focal does not have high end speakers", it's quite obvious they do. But in the broad scope of things, they offer more mid-range products than they do high end. So that's why I label them as a "mid range" company within the scope of this thread.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Long time reader, first time to post..

To the OP.. I recently scrapped my 2006 Extended Cab F150 factory setup for a solid aftermarket one. I have gotten tons of praise because of the clarity of my system. I am extremely happy with it. Here is what worked for me:

(4) Polk Audio MM1040DVC (10" dual voice coil subs)
(1) Polk Audio PA1100.5 - Five Channel Amplifier
(1) Polk Audio PA600.1 - Mono Sub Amplifier
(4) Polk Audio MM651 (midrange / highs)
(1) Kenwood Head Unit (Model DDX419)

* Used quality interconnects and power / ground wire
* Purchased a Mechman 270 amp alternator (but it's not installed as of today. It's sitting right next to me just looking at me.. haha)

It sounds very crisp and the bass is nice and tight due to the sealed enclosures. What I like about the Polk MM series 10" subs is Polk Audio recommends a rather SMALL sealed enclosure @ .65 cuft per sub. I was able to squeeze (2) of my 10" subs under my back seat and after a few months of listening, I decided to add another amp and (2) more subs. (2) 10" subs is plenty of output for any "normal" person but I used to work for a stereo shop back in the day. Back then, I had (6) 12" subs in my GMC SUV.

Money wise, I think the Polk MM series 10" subs can be found all day long around $120 bucks each. Whatever you decide to do, just take your time and choose your parts wisely. Cutting a corner here and there often times has a negative effect on sound quality.

Quick Reply: Help with new Setup!