Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help me pick Components

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Help me pick Components

Originally I replaced my HU with a Pioneer AVH and my door speakers with 2 way Rockford Fosgate R1682's in the front and back doors of my 11 Screw. My thinking was that those speakers would grow with the system and handle 50 +/- RMS when I added an amp. And they have but....

I installed a 5 channel Rockford Fosgate R600-5 Amp with a 10" sub and the system sounds amazing but it is begging for the separation a component speaker can offer.

So which speakers should I go with. Many on this forum like the Polk db5251 and while I am a fan of Polk is there something better that you would recommend around the Polk price? More importantly, where do I mount the tweeters in both the front and the back. I assume the sails on the front doors but what about the back doors?

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll answer my own post in case this comes up in a search.

I listened to Polk, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, JL and Pyramid but the ones that "made music" to my ears were the Helix Esprit E62C. The clarity of the Helix was hands down the winner. The price tag however was not comparable to the others and I paid $300 for the pair. I guess I did OK being Crutchfield asks $400 for them but after hearing them, it was worth every penny.

Installation was not plug and play. There are no adapters to mount them and it will be a custom install by you. It really was not that hard, a couple of new holes to drill and some bracing but it took some trial and error making sure I had clearance for the window and the door panel when put back together.

The tweeter installation was pretty simple also but it took a leap of faith by me due to having to install them in the sails. Taking a 1" hole saw to an exposed area of your truck without being able to turn back is not for the faint of heart but I am happy to say that it came out perfect and looks great. Normally I would never do this but this truck is here to stay until one of us is dead.

The sound quality is amazing! The separation a component gives (especially the Helix) coupled with coaxials in the rear and a sub really fills the cabin and I am hearing songs with clarity I've never heard before. I almost don't care what is playing, I am just enjoying hearing every instrument, almost separately in any song.

This completes my setup and I now know the difference between a loud setup vs. a quality setup. I can listen as loud as I want and not have my ears hurt.....within reason of course.

I would highly recommend these speakers if you are willing to spend the money.

Quick Reply: Help me pick Components