Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help me build a audio system for my truck..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Default Help me build a audio system for my truck..

So I scanned through a lot of the threads on here and learned a good but still wanting to know more info before I spend money. Gonna be a month or so before I do the stereo but when I do it, I plan on doing it all and right the first time. I don't know hardly anything about car audio and won't be doing the install, will be going to a local shop to get that done. Not looking to cheap out on anything and will to spend decent bit of coin as I spend a LOT of time in my truck with the stereo blasting. But at the same time, I'm not an audiopile so very subtle differences in sound will prob be lost on me.

2012 SCREW with stock non upgraded Sony system, synch and all that jazz. Main thing I want is to be able to retain ALL the steering wheel controls, synch, bluetooth audio.

Was considering two options, just upgrading all the speakers and two subs under rear seats, ( thinking of either two 10's or 12's ) Prob two good 10's will do for what I like I think. I have the Shaker 1000 system in my 2006 GT and about the perfect amount of bass to me, enough to hit and feel it but not overpowering either.

Or upgrading all the factory speakers, add the subs, and do a new deck with GPS navigation but I want it to retain all the climate controls currently located in that area and looks like from my research, that can be done but is a pain in the ***.

Been browsing Crutchfield but all the options is a little overwhelming and I want to make sure everything I order goes well together.

Thoughts, suggestions? Place Im going to go to for the install can build a custom box so that shouldn't be an issue and he does some MAJOR car audio for fun as that's his hobby but his idea of an ideal system will be far more powerful then what I want if that makes sense. So I was gonna compile a list of items based on your guys suggestions.

So what all do I need? 2 speakers ( what size? ) for front doors and two speakers for rear doors ( same size? ), box for the two subs, and amp. If I go with a new deck, what all do I need for it to replace everything in the climate control area? Mostly wanting a easy to use GPS for Navigation as my handheld garmin is on it's last legs and look clean once installed, don't want a super complicated deck either. Will be running pandora and blue tooth audio as I take a lot of phone calls about tuners while driving and love the hands free bluetooth capability of it.

I realize this question gets asked a lot so if somebody is willing to help with my setup and I end up going with the setup suggested, I'd be happy to paypal $10 or $15 bucks for their time.

Links to Crutchfield for parts needed would be immensely helpful as well. Again, not looking for the highest end stuff but don't want to cheap out either as I want it primarily to be clear and crisp at good volume and decent bass.

1) Dynomat the doors. Should I do just the front two or all four? Can't stand rattles and seems like dynomats seems to eliminate that and make sounds crisper.
2) Front end speaker replacements?
3) Rear end speaker replacements?
4) two subs, either 12's or 10's
5) Amp to power the subs. Would a amp to power the door speakers be good as well or overkill?
6) What other random crap or adaptors and whatnot do I need?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 AM

And holy hell, Dynamat is more expensive then I thought.

Would this be sufficient for 4 doors in the truck?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1541940...isplay=Dynamat
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 AM

Also if going with a new deck, rear view camera would be nice as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres my input, i would definitely upgrade the entire system if you really want subs. The subs will drown out any highs you have so you gotta do it all. Also i would do a component system as oppose to just coaxials. I went with infinity all around 2 amps on for highs one for lows. and two 10" subs under the rear seat. Its plenty for most expect all those wanting crazy bass. I find myself keeping the volume around half, and i like it loud. I have the factory sony nav so i kept it. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Franchi Motorsports (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

I went fairly cheap on my setup but it is more the capable to go loud enough that I can't stand it. In the front I went with these components and they sound awesome!!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCP...80C.html?tp=93

In the rear I went with just some coaxials for fill
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC6...4PS.html?tp=93

For my sub I did not want to lose floor space and this sub has outstanding reviews so I gave it a shot it sounds unreal like 2 10s no one can believe is only a single 8" lol. Best part is it fits perfectly under the rear passenger side jump seat like the factory Sony sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369313...08LG-W3v3.html

All powered by this amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113X700....html?tp=35808.

Stock HU with android tablet install and this for the sound quality
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136441D...leanSweep.html

Overall it sounds better then my wife's 2012 BMW with the $2000 upgraded bang olefson stereo with twin subs. I am very happy with it an if you shop around you can make a similar setup happen for under $900 I took my truck to a shop to get a quote and this is the system they put together for me and wanted 2k installed. I did it all for $880.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Since you were on Crutchfield send a note to one of their advisors. They are very helpful with recommendations and tech support. Tell them what you are planning and they will go from there.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Good to know, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

Also here is some good info for the use of sound deadening. Any thing more then 25% coverage is considered waist.

One of the best sites I have read about it
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Last edited by geno51; 02-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
Since you were on Crutchfield send a note to one of their advisors. They are very helpful with recommendations and tech support. Tell them what you are planning and they will go from there.
This.. Crutchfield has a great Advisor system, and they'll help you out through it all, with recommendations and suggestions. Of course if you want to purchase from them, you'll pay a little more, but you also get a warranty, unlike some online dealers.
Also, I don't recommend buying subs/speakers from fleabay, as there are LOTS of knock-offs. (Please note I'm not saying every speaker is trash from eBay, just that there are some not so good, just like every product).

I'd go with 2 10's, like mentioned above; 12's would be a squeeze because there's so little room underneath the backseat.

And that's my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

I would suggest not buying directly from crutchfield. They are expensive and you can find products much cheaper elsewhere. Browse and get advice from them, but don't buy.

Quick Reply: Help me build a audio system for my truck..