Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help installing component system

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help installing component system

I recently bought Infinity Kappa 50.9cs 5 1/4" componets for my front doors and 6x8" Infinity Kappa 682.9cf for my rear speakers. I have a 2007 F150 Supercrew and have been reading how to install. I also received Crutchfield instructions and brackets to fit the 5 1/4" I have all the tools necessary and felt pretty confident on installing them myself (and saving $150+ from Bestbuy installation services), but whenever I opened the component package all of this hardware poured out and I'm not even sure where to start and where to attach others. Where do I attach and put the crossovers? There are things everywhere and cases/clip ons? I'm not sure about. I have heard the rear doors are more complicated getting to, but once the door is off the speakers should be a breeze since its not a component system. Should I install myself or would it be wiser to get it professionally done so they can adjust the setting, do it right, etc? Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by kevint1022; 05-11-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but if the hardware in the component box was overwhelming you may want to have someone else do it. Most of that is probably extra tweeter fitment hardware but still...

If you want to press on, we'll try to help.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want to press on, we'll try to help.

Lay everything out on a table and post a picture.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoeBoost

Lay everything out on a table and post a picture.
Thanks guys! I'd really like to save $100+ than pay Bestbuy it for something they can do in 20 mins tops.. especially how simple it is to take off the front door panels! I took off the rear door no problem, but whenever I went to attach the wiring harness adapter I bought from Crutchfield it wouldn't fit. Do I need to crimp it or use these?: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120FQS1...ck-Slides.html

What do I do with these?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM

And for the component system speaker parts........ hope you guys can understand why I got a little discouraged.
I tried labeling to make things a little simpler and clearer.

EDIT: One end of G broke (if you look closely you can tell an end snapped off). Will I need to get a new one and if so, where do you think? Or will it be fine like that? Thanks.

Last edited by kevint1022; 05-11-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Part G
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM

Ok - the first set of pics are your crossovers for the 5x7s. Determine your factory speaker wire (+) and (-), you may have to search for a schematic I dont have this information on hand. Once you have this info either cut the factory plug off (or use adapter) and connect these to the respective terminals on the xover then the leads coming out of the xover to the speakers +- terminals. Duct tape or wire tie them somewhere so they dont rattle in the doors.

In the second set of pics - A,B,C,D & G are your various mounts for the tweeters (H). The manual should show you how these are used based on how you are going to mount them (flush, surface, etc).

E are your crossovers for the 50.9s (J). They should be marked as to which set of terminals goes to what. Should be an "in" which is your factory speaker wires, woofer and tweeter. Again, manual should show you this as well. These can be mounted somewhere under the door panel - just find a space that works for them. If you want them more accessible then youll have to find a space that works and run wires to that location. Same situation as 5x7s you will either need to cut the factory plug off or use and adapter. With the adapters you will be cutting off the quick connectors anyway as both crossovers can be connected with bare wire. You can use fork terminals if you want to get fancy...I dont....

There are tweeter attenuation buttons on both these speaker sets so you may want to listen before putting the panels back so you can change tweeter db setting if its too bright or not enough.

Did you buy these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...Harnesses.html May want to check with Crutchfield to see if they sent you the correct ones for your truck.

Hope that gets you started.

Last edited by JoeBoost; 05-11-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the info! So with the tweeters I do not use all of those, I just choose the one that helps fit into my truck? And I checked and it says I received the right harness.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by kevint1022
Thanks for all the info! So with the tweeters I do not use all of those, I just choose the one that helps fit into my truck? And I checked and it says I received the right harness.
Yes, most tweeters come with multiple mounting plates(surface, side, etc). Just pick which one fits and suites your needs and makes the best fit. They include all the hardware in case you have no previous tweeter location and want to make a new one. I.e. on your window sails or front pillars.

It also looks like the coaxs (5x7's) you bought come with a semi-crossover. You connect that crossover the same as the one from the components.

Input = (i.e. the ends where you took the old speakers out)
Output = tweeter and woofer terminals. (-, + for each).
Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ibd2328
Yes, most tweeters come with multiple mounting plates(surface, side, etc). Just pick which one fits and suites your needs and makes the best fit. They include all the hardware in case you have no previous tweeter location and want to make a new one. I.e. on your window sails or front pillars.

It also looks like the coaxs (5x7's) you bought come with a semi-crossover. You connect that crossover the same as the one from the components.

Input = (i.e. the ends where you took the old speakers out)
Output = tweeter and woofer terminals. (-, + for each).
Alright thanks! Which would you recommend since the 2007 F150 already has a slot made for the tweeter?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Alright thanks! Which would you recommend since the 2007 F150 already has a slot made for the tweeter?
Its really not that complicated. Look at the manual, fit some pieces, see what works.

Quick Reply: Help installing component system