Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help! I want to add OEM Sub, tons of extra plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Exclamation Help! I want to add OEM Sub, tons of extra plugs?

Okay so I've talked a guy down from $200 bucks to $115 on eBay but I only have 48hrs to accept.

I read GatorB8's Audio Basics and realized if I don't have the Audiophile stereo that the sub won't work. So I opened up the panel and looked behind the radio. It only has 2 plugs so it's not audiophile, but I think it has the sub wiring. Would I just be able to buy an Audiophile radio and then hook up the sub?

Here are some pics:

The 2 plugs on the left go into the back of the radio but the last one on the right is attached to the same harness and doesn't plug in anything. Is this the sub wiring?

Thanks for your help guys! And if you don't mind... what are these other plugs for??

This one has about 2-3ft. of cord bundled and ziptied up under the storage tray on top of the dash.

IDK what the rest of these are either

And is this just an extra female plug in case one breaks? It's just clipped to the Dash framework.

Thanks for the help again guys! Audio isn't my expertise and I just want a little bass for when my hard rock songs come on and I feel like doing some headbangin.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Do you know if the radio you have now is original? To me it looks like you have the plugs for a Sirius radio also. Do you have a Sirius antenna on the roof? Do you have the wiring harness for the factory sub under the back seat? I am not sure if the Audiophile system had a separate amp for the door speakers like the Sony does now.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Do you know if the radio you have now is original? To me it looks like you have the plugs for a Sirius radio also. Do you have a Sirius antenna on the roof? Do you have the wiring harness for the factory sub under the back seat? I am not sure if the Audiophile system had a separate amp for the door speakers like the Sony does now.
I can't say for sure that it is the original radio. I'm thinking it is very possible it was replaced because it only had 2x 7mm bolts holding it in and one phillips head screw with a washer and one self tapping phillips head screw. The phillips didn't really do anything to help hold the radio in, but the hex heads were holding it just fine.

Yes I have a Sirius radio antenna on the roof, and I've always wondered how to access it because when I hit Aux it says no Aux available or whatever so I never had the option to access Sirius yet I have the sirius setup.

I have never seen the plug in's for the sub under my rear seat but if I pull the seat back off the wall could it possibly be tucked up under there?

Thanks for the help! Any and all is appreciated!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Those three plugs in the first pic are the power/speaker harness, 6-disc CD changer harness, and audiophile (sub) harness.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by BolletuH
Those three plugs in the first pic are the power/speaker harness, 6-disc CD changer harness, and audiophile (sub) harness.
So do you think I could get an Audiophile radio and add the sub?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
2011 Screw XLT 4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** that noise...!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by Trigga_T
**** that noise...!
I'm not the guy going BOOOM BOOOM down the street if thats what you mean. I hate that! Thats why I want the wimpy stock sub. I just want a sub for the low tones.

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
I Like Tires

Also; to continue the theory of the non original radio. My Antenna cord is orange and there is a black cord plugged into it with a 90 degree head that plugs into my radio. Is this an adapter? I thought I read that they changed the antenna plug in 07 so this may be proof that its not the original radio.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

it looks like you could swap out the HU with an audiophile one cause all the plugs are there. also looks like you have a sirius antenna cable...but the module may not be in there for it, i cant tell from the pics.

you could call united radio with your vin and they might be able to tell you what your truck had....they have the contract for fixing ford radios and thats who does their reprogramming...just a thought!...when i sent my nav to get reprogrammed he knew what my truck came with by my vin #..
Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 AM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by schissler
it looks like you could swap out the HU with an audiophile one cause all the plugs are there. also looks like you have a sirius antenna cable...but the module may not be in there for it, i cant tell from the pics.

you could call united radio with your vin and they might be able to tell you what your truck had....they have the contract for fixing ford radios and thats who does their reprogramming...just a thought!...when i sent my nav to get reprogrammed he knew what my truck came with by my vin #..
Awesome thanks!

I'll be taking off the seat back tomorrow to see if there is a subwoofer connection. I tried tonight but it's rainy and it was to dark.

Quick Reply: Help! I want to add OEM Sub, tons of extra plugs?