Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

help with amp install

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with amp install

hey guys/girls, just wondering if anyone has pictures or a step-by-step guide on how to install the wires for an amp. I have an idea, but I was wanting to know the correct way of like where to run the power cord, do i hook it up to the battery, etc. Also if I put the amp behind my back seats (Suprcrew) where would I put the ground wire? I know someone out there has done this and is very good at what they do to atleast point me in the right direction, I've searched google and all I can find is "pay" sites. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For best sound you should run 2 runs of whatever wire you are using to your amp attatching to your front battery, 1 for power and 1 for ground, you get best conductivity that way resulting in better sound, make sure you have a good set of rca's...nothing is worse than spending 100's on an amp and 5 dollars on a bad set of rcas, the remote wire dosnt need to be bigger than 16 gauge, 22 will even work fine....and depending on what power you are running good speaker wire is a must too...gauge dependant on power

run your rca's adjacent from the side you run your power wire on to keep ground noise minimal other than that you should be good
Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM

so it won't run down my battery to hook up the pos/neg cables to the power and ground wires? and your saying run the ground cable from my amp to the neg on the battery? and how much should a good pair of rca's cost so I'll know what I'm looking for...thanks for the reply
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, run your amp right off your battery, not sure i know of another way lol.....pos and neg from amp to pos and neg of battery

30-40+ is a good set of rcas

no your battery will be fine but dont play it long with the car off, as your battery loses power it causes your amp to clip, so when you hit 10 volts or lower your clipping your subwoofer which may result in blowing it.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 PM

ok so this brings me to another question...... I have kids, and do not want the amp/subs on while they are in the truck. I should get a toggle switch right? if so do I just get a regular toggle and put it on the power line? sorry for the questions, I just want to do it the right way
Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Hustler

Depending on your head unit you may have an option that enables you to turn the subwoofers off from the head unit itself. I had a Kenwood that enabled me to do that...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM

well i'm not a car audio person but i do know my fair share so anyone please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but i put a toggle switch in for my subs and i put it in the remote wire which is the one that turns the amp on when you turn your radio on. if the toggle switch is off while your driving i'm pretty sure that it is just like when the truck is off. the amp doesn't turn on because it thinks the radio is off. and someone please correct me if i am wrong but it worked for me!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
Depending on your head unit you may have an option that enables you to turn the subwoofers off from the head unit itself. I had a Kenwood that enabled me to do that...
That is a good point, my sony head unit allowed me to control the subs from it, however i don't think you can turn the amp off. idk if leaving the amp on is bad or not, but i'm just saying i think you would be better off installing a toggle switch IMO.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM

To start, Buy an Amp installation kit at circuit city or bestbuy or a reputible audio store. The kit will everything you need to do the install. And will save you a few bucks from running here and there putting all the parts together. First Find a nice route for you to run your Positive cable through, IE a rubber body plug in the firewall(Behind the brake pedal, Near where the steering colomn comes through). Lay out the cable to make sure you have enough to get from the battery, and your amp. Put the Fuse in line on your Positive cable and connect it to the battery.REMOVE the FUSE. Run your positive cable in the route that you have chosen. connect to the Positive terminal on the amp. Do the same for the Neative.Then run youre RCA cables AND the remote wire at the same time, this will save you some time and hassle. Connecect the (usually blue) remote wire to the wire on the back of your head unit labeled "REMOTE" then connect to the amp. Your amp will have only 3 terminals Positive, negative and remote. So ive you have connected the poss, and neg, the last one is the remote. Then connect your RCA cbles to the INPUT side on the amp. THe head unit is the OUTPUT. Thats the Basics Bro, Hope it helps.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, When you get all connected, and all the wires ticked in nice and tight. Put the fuse in the fuse holder, or the whole thing wont work. DUH!! Sorry guys, Had a BRAINFART! LOL

Quick Reply: help with amp install