Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!!

I have a 2010 FX4 with Sony sound system and touch screen display. There is a kicker amp mounted behind the rear seat and a sub under the passenger side rear seat.

My problem is, I am losing audio on everything except the sub and a very quiet (almost indiscernible) sound coming from somewhere around the dash, I am assuming the small speakers along the door frame. This seems to happen when the volume is turned up a bit or when there is more bass in the song. What could be going on? Is this a bad amp or head unit?

I don't know a whole lot about stereos, so any guidance is appreciated. I have looked around for similar issues but only found a post in nissan forums about somewhat same thing.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BahrNone
I have a 2010 FX4 with Sony sound system and touch screen display. There is a kicker amp mounted behind the rear seat and a sub under the passenger side rear seat.

My problem is, I am losing audio on everything except the sub and a very quiet (almost indiscernible) sound coming from somewhere around the dash, I am assuming the small speakers along the door frame. This seems to happen when the volume is turned up a bit or when there is more bass in the song. What could be going on? Is this a bad amp or head unit?

I don't know a whole lot about stereos, so any guidance is appreciated. I have looked around for similar issues but only found a post in nissan forums about somewhat same thing.
Did you install the sub and amp?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Did you install the sub and amp?
I did not install it. I bought the truck in December and it already had those installed.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:57 PM

I did not install it. I bought the truck in December and it already had those installed.
OK.

First I would check the wiring. Was there an amp kit used with a wire going to the battery? Where did the signal come from for the new amp?

Try unplugging the amp and see if the problem is still there.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
OK.

First I would check the wiring. Was there an amp kit used with a wire going to the battery? Where did the signal come from for the new amp?

Try unplugging the amp and see if the problem is still there.
I unplugged the rca cables and no sound except from sub and tweeters, so exactly the issue id been having. I pulled up the kick plates on the front and rear doors and the cable looked to be pinched, but seemingly not bad enough to cause a problem. Plugged them back in, one by one, and speakers came back but the audio cutting out did not happen again. I ran it for about 5-10 min and no issue. I will drive it around a bit when I get a chance to see how it goes.

For the amp, there are 8 wires (besides the 4 rca) connected via screw. Those all looked good and looked to have a good connection. I also found 2 wires for a sub that weren't going to anything but the stripped ends were touching. It looks like previous owner had a second sub under the back seat. I removed those wires.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:26 PM

I should have mentioned, the RCAs come from the head unit, so I didn't really isolate the head unit and the amp. There are RCA going into the amp for the sub, but the sub output on amp was not connected to anything; which makes me assume the sub is directly connected to the head unit.

Last edited by BahrNone; 05-10-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:18 PM

I unplugged the rca cables and no sound except from sub and tweeters, so exactly the issue id been having. I pulled up the kick plates on the front and rear doors and the cable looked to be pinched, but seemingly not bad enough to cause a problem. Plugged them back in, one by one, and speakers came back but the audio cutting out did not happen again. I ran it for about 5-10 min and no issue. I will drive it around a bit when I get a chance to see how it goes.

For the amp, there are 8 wires (besides the 4 rca) connected via screw. Those all looked good and looked to have a good connection. I also found 2 wires for a sub that weren't going to anything but the stripped ends were touching. It looks like previous owner had a second sub under the back seat. I removed those wires.
It sounds too me like you have too many wires hooked up. The Sony has a separate amp for everything and your connections should be coming from that amp and not from the HU. You really should take it to a shop and have them sort it out
The following users liked this post:
BahrNone (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 PM

Since removing the extra wire and rerouting the cables coming from kicker to behind dash, the problem has not happened again. I would like to say it is fixed, but I will take it and have it looked at just to be safe.
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (05-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Help!!