Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Hardwire GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Hardwire GPS

I'm going to put a Garmin nuvi 57LM GPS in my truck. I am going to use some sort of a permanent mount, and I want to hardwire it so that it's always powered when the key is on and I don't use up my 12V outlet.

I'm trying to think of sources to tap into keyed 12V power. The fuse box is all the way over in the passenger footwell.

Does anybody here have a hardwired GPS in their truck? Where did you tap power? Could I maybe hit the wiring in the overhead console? Or the trailer brake controller wiring? Is there a wire that I can tap that is heavy enough gauge to be safe for running GPS all the time?
Old 11-26-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine by using an add a fuse in the fuse box. Tapped into the radio fuse socket on my 2008 XLT. Ran the Garmin power socket under the dash and secured the wire with zip ties. Mount it on the far left drivers side dash mount with the Garmin vent clip. Avaliable on Amazon or Garmin.com.
Goes on with the ignition and off when ignition is turned off then door open like radio does.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

No smart phone? When ever I need directions I just tap the speak icon and tell it where I need to go, my phone then relays the info over Bluetooth thru the trucks speakers.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by dyurisich
I did mine by using an add a fuse in the fuse box. Tapped into the radio fuse socket on my 2008 XLT. Ran the Garmin power socket under the dash and secured the wire with zip ties. Mount it on the far left drivers side dash mount with the Garmin vent clip. Avaliable on Amazon or Garmin.com.
Goes on with the ignition and off when ignition is turned off then door open like radio does.
So you purchased the optional power wire from Garmin that has bare ends on it that you can tap into any location ?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I used the power supply that comes with the Garmin and purchased an add a fuse and cigarette lighter plug. Wired the plug on the add a fuse and grounded it to a screw under the dash. The hardest part was getting the fuse panel to line up and reattach.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:05 AM

Ahhh Ok. I see. I noticed that Garmin sells a wire without the cigarette plug on the end specifically for hardwiring. I might go that route. But I like your idea about the add-a-fuse. I may just have to extend the wiring length a bit to make it.

I have a smartphone, but it uses data and it's more cumbersome to operate. I'd like to have a dedicated GPS and free up the phone. Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
Ahhh Ok. I see. I noticed that Garmin sells a wire without the cigarette plug on the end specifically for hardwiring. I might go that route. But I like your idea about the add-a-fuse. I may just have to extend the wiring length a bit to make it.

I have a smartphone, but it uses data and it's more cumbersome to operate. I'd like to have a dedicated GPS and free up the phone. Thanks guys.
I purchased the hardwire kit for my Garmin, added a add a fuse to one of the fuses in the passenger fuse box, F32, for the GPS/Radio. Works perfectly. if you accidentally leave it on it will cut off by itself
My Garmin is the Navi 2797

Last edited by FredB; 12-05-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

just for a heads up, so nobody cooks thier gps, the actual garmin is only 5v not 12v. same as a sat radio so you cant just cut off the cig plug. the garmin hardwire kit is the way to go as it reduces to the proper voltage.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by morehousej
just for a heads up, so nobody cooks thier gps, the actual garmin is only 5v not 12v. same as a sat radio so you cant just cut off the cig plug. the garmin hardwire kit is the way to go as it reduces to the proper voltage.
I just tap a switched power wire behind the dash. Use a female cig. lighter receptacle and plug the factory Garmin into it.