Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Getting dual subs...what else do i need!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting dual subs...what else do i need!?!

Hey everyone,

So i am getting a dual sub box from supercrewsound.com.

Question1- I believe i need to get a shallow mount sub....but i am stuck between getting 2-10inch vs 2-12 inch. I want the most bass as possible, but because of the limited air space, would 2-10's be more efficient then the 2-12's?

Question 2- I am new to this whole audio upgrade thing, so besides the box and subs and amp, what else do i need? I plan on getting everything myself and then taking it to a professional to get it installed.

Thanks in advanced...

Nyles
***2010 supercrew***
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 AM

you do not necessarily need shallow mount subs but you will not run into mounting issues with them. there are regular subs that will fit but you need to make sure the basket and magnet will clear. easiest way would be to take the box to wherever you buy your subs and let them see if they will let you test fit them in the box.

as far as other stuff you will need will be: Amp install kit (dont go to wal-mart and buy one of those cheap 30 dollar amp kits, average QUALITY amp kit will cost 75-150 dollars depending on wire gauge, rca cable quality)

you will also need at the very least a line-output converter. there are some nicer ones like the mtx re-q which will get you a little bit better sound quality but a simple line-output converter will be good enough.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Check out knukonceptz.com's kolossus line for a great value on amp kits. A 4 AWG kit should cover you unless you exceed a draw of 150 amps.

As mrfatride said, you'll need an LOC unless the amp you get has high/speaker level inputs.

If you haven't ordered your box yet, check out foxacoustics.com (member joefox on here), his box will get you an extra inch of mounting depth, and give you a lot more options in full size 10s.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:38 PM
F150 on jooze

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO get a seat lift kit, quality subs and a box built to the sub specs
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM

So i looked into foxacoutsics and i like what i see. I think i will go with them vs supercrewsound (heard some bad things). If i go with foxacoutsics, i have the option of getting 2 10'' sealed OR 1 10'' ported. which do you guys think would hit hardest?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 PM

in a truck you would be better off with the dual 10s sealed as you will have twice the cone space.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At the lower freqs, the port can overcome the difference in cone area. With the 35hz tuning of the Fox Box it might have a tendency to be a little peaky in response but it would be pretty loud, quite likely louder than the pair sealed depending on the particular subs and the power on tap.

That said, unless you can find a sub that is very well matched to the specs of the ported box, the sealed setup is going to sound better. Prefab ported boxes, unless they are designed for a specific sub, are a recipe for poor bass response.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrfatride
in a truck you would be better off with the dual 10s sealed as you will have twice the cone space.
ive seen one 10 score a 150db in a spl car its all in the box design,sub choice, and power sent to it
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mad4002
ive seen one 10 score a 150db in a spl car its all in the box design,sub choice, and power sent to it
i agree i have seen similar results but unless he is going to rip the back half of his interior apart and build a wall the single 10" vented will not overcome the efficiency of 2 10s in a sealed box especially since the vented box is prefab and not built for the sub he is going to run
Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrfatride
especially since the vented box is prefab and not built for the sub he is going to run
Actually that right there is probably why it would be louder than the pair in the 35-45 hz range. I'd expect a 3dB or so response peak because of the 35hz tuning (depending on the sub of course) which when combined with the natural roll off on a sealed system may well give the output advantage to the single sub. In the freq range that the port is active it acts like extra cone area and can easily make up for a single sub worth of cone.

Quick Reply: Getting dual subs...what else do i need!?!