Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

foxbox problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default foxbox problems

Anyone have problems with the floor clearance of the foxbox? I just installed my system, and there is only a 1/4" between the sub and floor. I am running two alpine type r's. There is room to raise the box, but I should not have to do this. The subs were recommend by Joe Fox. By the way it is dual ten down-firing 2010 box for crewcab.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance you can get pics that show exactly how much space we are talking about?

Also, are you using the newer flat 10s or the regular depth 10s?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM

I will try to get some pics in the next day of my setup, but the box is already fixed. The quality of the box and sound is excellent, but I was just really disappointed that the box had such little Clarence that I could not even stick a single finger under the subs!!!!! The box specs state 1.75 inches. The subs I have have a one inch mounting ring. I should have had .75 inches to play with, but no such luck. I have the subs about 1.5 inches off the floor now and they sound incredible!!

My setup

AVIC - X920BT head-unit

MRP-m1000 amp

(2) swr-1023d subs

Dual downfire screw foxbox (2010)
TS-D68025 Front and back speakers. I do not like the look of components, and these speakers really do sound nice. I have had components in the past and there were slightly better, but these really hold their own.

I also have it setup where I plug my iphone into the old sync usb/aux jack which is a nice touch.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, I have a single MTX shallow mount in a single fox box and it it hits the floor. I was originally going to get a 10w3 but the people at the local audio store said that i wouldnt fit in the fox box when they tried putting it in. Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 PM

I don't know how other year models work, but I just mounted new legs on my box and raised it. I know have about 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance. The seats don't go all the way down, but I could only tell by comparing my dads truck to mine when they were side by side. I know that the older models have seat lifts as an option. The box sounds amazing now!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphis Blue
I will try to get some pics in the next day of my setup, but the box is already fixed. The quality of the box and sound is excellent, but I was just really disappointed that the box had such little Clarence that I could not even stick a single finger under the subs!!!!! The box specs state 1.75 inches. The subs I have have a one inch mounting ring. I should have had .75 inches to play with, but no such luck. I have the subs about 1.5 inches off the floor now and they sound incredible!!

My setup

AVIC - X920BT head-unit

MRP-m1000 amp

(2) swr-1023d subs

Dual downfire screw foxbox (2010)
TS-D68025 Front and back speakers. I do not like the look of components, and these speakers really do sound nice. I have had components in the past and there were slightly better, but these really hold their own.

I also have it setup where I plug my iphone into the old sync usb/aux jack which is a nice touch.
I was just wondering how the box and subs are treating you. I have the exact setup coming this week. How did you get the subs 1.5 off the floor? did you mount your amps on the back wall? Thanks in advance for any info. Have a good one.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by ffpetest53
I was just wondering how the box and subs are treating you. I have the exact setup coming this week. How did you get the subs 1.5 off the floor? did you mount your amps on the back wall? Thanks in advance for any info. Have a good one.
All I did to raise the box was to cut two 2x4 and place them on their side. One end is cut diagonal on each to allow the box to fit against the back wall. Then I mounted the boards to the box. I can take some pics if you would like. I am very impressed with the subs. They are very clean. For under the seat subs the pump out a ton of bass. ... I actually installed my amp under the passenger seat since it's not power. I think it breathes better that way and allows easy access for adjustments. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphis Blue
All I did to raise the box was to cut two 2x4 and place them on their side. One end is cut diagonal on each to allow the box to fit against the back wall. Then I mounted the boards to the box. I can take some pics if you would like. I am very impressed with the subs. They are very clean. For under the seat subs the pump out a ton of bass. ... I actually installed my amp under the passenger seat since it's not power. I think it breathes better that way and allows easy access for adjustments. If you have any other questions just let me know.
I hate to bring back an old thread but could you post a pic of what you did? I've got a Fox Box ordered and I was just about to place an order for a pair of Type-Rs as well. What kind of amp are you using?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To avoid any of this, just build your own box. Much better performance, plus you can fit 12s instead of 10s. I've read of many having problems with the foxbox with leaking air, poor build quality, etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by FX44AU
I hate to bring back an old thread but could you post a pic of what you did? I've got a Fox Box ordered and I was just about to place an order for a pair of Type-Rs as well. What kind of amp are you using?
Well I almost hate to say this, but I'm having leaking issues as well as a rattle from the box. I'm wondering if the type r' blow it up inside. In the process of returning. I had the type r's and one got damaged quickly. I switched to jl. I'll get a pic tonight

Quick Reply: foxbox problems