Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Final audio install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Final audio install questions

So I have almost everything for my finished audio install. Here's what I'm running.
Pioneer avic-d3 (installed)
Rockford p3 shallow 10" (installed)
Probox 10" (installed)
Diamond audio 250.2 (installed)
Polk audio db6501 6.5"
Polk audio db571
Mb quart 125.4

Where's a good site to order a 4 channel amp kit? And how hard is it to run speaker wires into each door? I'm stoked to get this all finished!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mechman.com, look for the shok wiring and he'll hook you up.

or sonicelectronix.com
Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MOTOunplugged
So I have almost everything for my finished audio install. Here's what I'm running.
Probox 10" (installed)
Polk audio db6501 6.5"
Polk audio db571
Mb quart 125.4

Where's a good site to order a 4 channel amp kit? And how hard is it to run speaker wires into each door? I'm stoked to get this all finished!
the easy way is to run speaker wires from the amp to the front, get a harness plugins toward door speakers. also when it's time to put it back to stock it's much easier. onlinecarstereo.com the cheapest on line. if you got some more question pm me, I can help.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Probox 10" (installed)
Polk audio db6501 6.5"
Polk audio db571
Mb quart 125.4

I realize you are going to bypass the stock wiring, good choice. In doing so you will increase the quality of the sound produced by your speakers. I agree it seems silly to spend the money to buy quality components and then try to run them on stock wiring. As far as buying amp kits, save your money. Order the correct parts to do the job right and spend the additional money to get the quality your parts you bought deserve. You need 2,4,or 6 gauge power wire find how to route it and order enough. Ground wire the same and ground in two locations to make sure you get a good ground. Order the proper connectors to connect to your amp (s) if required. Order 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire and feed it to each location, pulls through existing door locations. Pretty easy to do use a wire coat hanger if you have one. Find a good fuse holder to put with in one foot of battery capable of handling the power you need. You will also need the amp turn on from the stereo so run that too. Get good quality RCA cables to run from the stereo to the amps also, this is critical to get good ones. If your going to run 4 channels plus an amp get at least 5 rca feeds.. If you are only doing right left and sub then you need 3.. Some of this is pretty obvious but I mention it because it is stuff I have overlooked and learned the hardway... Good luck...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010FX4F150GILROY
I realize you are going to bypass the stock wiring, good choice. In doing so you will increase the quality of the sound produced by your speakers. I agree it seems silly to spend the money to buy quality components and then try to run them on stock wiring. As far as buying amp kits, save your money. Order the correct parts to do the job right and spend the additional money to get the quality your parts you bought deserve. You need 2,4,or 6 gauge power wire find how to route it and order enough. Ground wire the same and ground in two locations to make sure you get a good ground. Order the proper connectors to connect to your amp (s) if required. Order 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire and feed it to each location, pulls through existing door locations. Pretty easy to do use a wire coat hanger if you have one. Find a good fuse holder to put with in one foot of battery capable of handling the power you need. You will also need the amp turn on from the stereo so run that too. Get good quality RCA cables to run from the stereo to the amps also, this is critical to get good ones. If your going to run 4 channels plus an amp get at least 5 rca feeds.. If you are only doing right left and sub then you need 3.. Some of this is pretty obvious but I mention it because it is stuff I have overlooked and learned the hardway... Good luck...
Thanks for the help.. Here's the amp kit I'm going to use. Looks like a really great quality kit and I love how it wraps all 4 RCA's into one wire.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...4-09ZCK44.html

I have two more questions. Since I have two amps, I will need two power wires. The wire I have in now is 6/8 gauge power wire I bought from walmart. I'm thinking about getting a block distributor and running the 4 gauge kicker wire all the way to the back of the truck, into the distributor, then out with 4 gauge kicker to the 4 channel, and out with 6/8 to my 2 channel amp for my sub. Would this work alright?

And last question. I bought these to adapt the 6x8 into a 6.5 and they do not line up right at all with the speaker and door. They are the correct shape but the mounting holes are all wrong. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get back to my dorm.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And last question. I bought these to adapt the 6x8 into a 6.5 and they do not line up right at all with the speaker and door. They are the correct shape but the mounting holes are all wrong. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get back to my dorm.
Just build your own baffles to mount the mids. I used MDF, then sprayed them with waterproofing and then black rustoleum paint so they look nice. Pics in my gallery.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Check out knukonceptz.com Kolossus series, great quality at a great price.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the help.. Here's the amp kit I'm going to use. Looks like a really great quality kit and I love how it wraps all 4 RCA's into one wire.

I have two more questions. Since I have two amps, I will need two power wires. The wire I have in now is 6/8 gauge power wire I bought from walmart. I'm thinking about getting a block distributor and running the 4 gauge kicker wire all the way to the back of the truck, into the distributor, then out with 4 gauge kicker to the 4 channel, and out with 6/8 to my 2 channel amp for my sub. Would this work alright?

Well amps X volts = watts ... So to carry the correct amperage you need the correct wire. How many watts is total for both amps... 4 gauge wire is good to about 1000 watts. If you work it out 80 Amps times 12.5 volts is 1000 watts. So the proper guage wire is 4G according to the NEC. Any more amps requires larger wire... Now if you change something in the equation it changes, but most stereo installers use 80 amps as the cut off for larger wire. Make sure to install a fuse holder for aobut 80 amps with in 1 foot of battery. Go to a distribution block for power positive and negative. So you need 2 distribution blocks. One for each and most are not the same. Good grounds are very important also. The 6X8 adapters should be plastic and are generic fit so try different ways to get as close as you can then use self tapping screws to install brackets... Do the best you can good luck...
Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Check out knukonceptz.com Kolossus series, great quality at a great price.

this i run all knukonceptz wire, super flexible, amazing prices and awesome products!!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those kicker amp kits are pretty nice. i used their 4 gauge kit for my sub, and their 8 gauge for the speakers. im definitely glad i spent the extra money for their kit. worth it for sure.

Quick Reply: Final audio install questions