Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

FatMat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default FatMat?

I ordered some fatmat over the weekend and should be getting it tomorrow. I didn't realize until today that this stuff has pretty horrible reviews.. Is it even worth putting on my front two doors or no? Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Its cheap, but that just means you need double the amount to get the same effect as the good stuff. It should be fine, just use it liberally. Is it butyl adhesive?

Only products I've used are from Raamat, Secondskin, and Sounddeadenershowdown. All worked very well and are high quality. Dynamat Xtreme is fine too, just pricey.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Its cheap, but that just means you need double the amount to get the same effect as the good stuff. It should be fine, just use it liberally. Is it butyl adhesive?

Only products I've used are from Raamat, Secondskin, and Sounddeadenershowdown. All worked very well and are high quality. Dynamat Xtreme is fine too, just pricey.
Nah man from what I read its not butyl. I ordered it on impulse because I needed it for the weekend. For whatever reason I had it confused with Raamat. Oh well, like you said I'll just double up on it. Should I do the outside of the door as well?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup its cheap for a reason...just double/triple up the layers and you will be ok...i run all second skin in my truck, the damplifier pro and i love it, i have been wanting to try out the new audiotechnix 60mill stuff though..also the fatmat does not stick very well so prep the surface very good and get a roller if you dont have one already or it will fall off especially since the summer heat is picking up
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a quick blurb I wrote on door treatments, might give you some ideas:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...-tutorial.html

Keep in mind that I have redone my baffles after I wrote this. Lets just say I put more time into them the second time lol.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Here is a quick blurb I wrote on door treatments, might give you some ideas:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...-tutorial.html

Keep in mind that I have redone my baffles after I wrote this. Lets just say I put more time into them the second time lol.

Awesome post man... I have basically all weekend set aside to tackle this project. How far up did you put the mat on the outside of the door? I read on one site that you can trace out a template from the clear/plastic door seal and just apply it in two large pieces? The only thing I'm worried about is the speaker baffles. Did you just use really short screws to mount the speaker to the baffle? And is it any particular clay for sealing?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 AM

And one last question. I've googled some, but would like an opinion here. I'm going to run my power wire down the passenger door sill. Is it ok to run speaker wire beside it? And is it ok to run speaker wire next to the rca's on the driver side?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I am Batman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOTOunplugged
And one last question. I've googled some, but would like an opinion here. I'm going to run my power wire down the passenger door sill. Is it ok to run speaker wire beside it? And is it ok to run speaker wire next to the rca's on the driver side?

No definitely separate the power from the rca and speaker wires .. run power down passenger side and rca and speaker down driver side..
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think people don't like it because it is knock off dynamat are you using it for a sound system or just to have? I'll have to look it up sometime tomorrow but there was a very nice alternative to dynamat that was real cheap awhile ago but I cannot remember the name of it to save my life I will do some searching for you in the morning
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i have installed Fatmat in my Dodge Dakota.. i put it on my roof, doors, below the backglass, and A pillars... it made a huge difference, especially in the rain!

Quick Reply: FatMat?