Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

factory sub with aftermarket deck

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question factory sub with aftermarket deck

does any one know how to wire in the factory sub with a aftermarket deck with out using a aftermarket wiring harness or do i have to but the harness?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should just have to run a wire from the amp remote(blue wire on head unit) to the amplifier. run rca jacks to the amp and just power the sub through the amp.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:34 AM

the stock sub doesn not have rca hooks ups or remote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:00 AM

ha good question. i had a factory sub laying in my shop and i meant to tinker with it. but the customer picked it up so i cant say for sure. on mustangs and other fords the factory sub got its own plug up at the radio. if we can locate those wire colors then hell ya we can make your deck run that factory crap i mean sub.

maybe pull the radio and look for the extra plug. or get a pinout of the amp wiring. all you need to do is turn it on and give it an audio signal.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The 8 pin sub connector behind the radio needs the turn on (only 5 volt) and a mono + and - RCA level signal and ground.

Pin 1 (Brown-Orange)- Sub RCA level +
Pin 2 (Red-Black)- Sub RCA level -
Cut the end off of an old RCA connector and connect the center (+) to the wire at pin 1, the outer to Pin 2

Pin 3 (Black)- Ground

Pin 4 (Dark Green-Violet) - Make a voltage divider (you'll just need two resistors) and drop the turn on wire from your new head unit from 12 to 5 volts

Last edited by GATORB8; 06-25-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
The 8 pin sub connector behind the radio needs the turn on (only 5 volt) and a mono + and - RCA level signal and ground.

Pin 1 (Brown-Orange)- Sub RCA level +
Pin 2 (Red-Black)- Sub RCA level -
Cut the end off of an old RCA connector and connect the center (+) to the wire at pin 1, the outer to Pin 2

Pin 3 (Black)- Ground

Pin 4 (Dark Green-Violet) - Make a voltage divider (you'll just need two resistors) and drop the turn on wire from your new head unit from 12 to 5 volts
I'm going to be doing this for a friend, i know enough to be able to do all this, except for pin 4, where would i get 2 resistors and how would i use them?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 PM

You've got around 12V coming from the turn on, if you run two parallel circuits off of it, the voltage will divide close to the ratio of the resistance. You'll get down to around 6v running two equal resistors (which should be good enough), but to do it right, run two resistors that have a ratio of 5:7. Split the circuit in two, and run one through the "5" resistor then to ground, run the other through the "7" and into the turn on lead for the sub.

Last edited by GATORB8; 06-27-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
You've got around 12V coming from the turn on, if you run two parallel circuits off of it, the voltage will divide close to the ratio of the resistance. You'll get down to around 6v running two equal resistors (which should be good enough), but to do it right, run two resistors that have a ratio of 5:7. Split the circuit in two, and run one through the "7" resistor then to ground, run the other through the "5" and into the turn on lead for the sub.
Wow that confused me, i only know enough to connect the right colors together for the harnesses
Haha, i think i can figure this out with a little help from my brother.

Thanks once again, gatorbait.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:55 PM

////////////////////////-----------resistor--->>>---ground
Head unit turnon---+
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\-----------resistor--->>>---pin 4

Quick Reply: factory sub with aftermarket deck