Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory Sony system upgrade summing and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Factory Sony system upgrade summing and other questions

I recently installed my new audio system and it sounds great, but it may be able to sound better. I'm running focal components in the front and rear. What I did was cut the speaker harness coming out of the amp in half, and sent the signal wires to my audio control lc8i, and wired the speaker tails to the amps because I have those pain in the *** molex connectors. I cut the factory tweeters and center channel straight through, so they are still being powered by the factory amp. Has anyone else done this? Is it ok to do this? I used the signal going to the woofers in the front and sent it to channel one on my lc8i, then out to my amp, then through the factory woofer wire to the focal crossover then out of it to my focal mid and tweeter. I assume with this setup I am not getting the high frequencies that may be blocked out by a factory crossover. Is this correct? If so, what would be the best method to wire this up? Please note that I installed the focal tweeters in the doors and not in the pillars' factory location. This limits me to not being able to have separate signal feeds for the midrange and tweeter because of the molex connectors. I'm hoping I should be ok with the rear as there was no tweeter back there so I'm assuming full signal should be going through to the one speaker and then I installed the focal crossover to split the 2. Is this correct? If there is a better way to do this please let me know. Any help is appreciated .
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Lots of info regarding this. While the lc8i is a great unit, it's simply summing. So you are still at the mercy of the factory HU/amp frequency adjustments. You really need a DSP, even entry level would work. I was using the lcq1 and found at certain volumes it was awesome, at others it lacked. So I switched to the JL Cleansweep. What an incredible difference. I set the factory HU at 50% and calibrated the JL, it maintains perfect frequency at all times.

If I am driving around with my wife or co workers I just set the JL master volume and use the steering wheel controls for easy adjustments. But if I am trying to use my system for its purpose, I put the HU at the 50% mark and only adjust with the JL ****.

This is the only way in my opinion to get the real consistent sound you are after.

Quick Reply: Factory Sony system upgrade summing and other questions