Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory iPod integration question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory iPod integration question

I need some recommendations on factory iPod integration. I have a P.I.E. FRD04 POD-S to integrate my iPod into my factory unit, which is the 6 CD MP3 unit from a 2005 that I dropped into my 04 supercrew. The problem I have with it is that it has static and popping noises during acceleration, and I can hear the hard drive spinning up between songs over the speakers. In order to power it, I initially connected the power wiring into the back side of the cigarette lighter.

I grew tired of the static and decided to try a BrandMotion unit. This seemed great, the controls were more intuitive and the unit drew power from the integrated connector to the wiring harness, so there was no worry about bad wiring causing static. It sounded great, no static at all. However, after the 3rd day the unit started cutting out. The head unit would display “No Aux Audio” and I would have to disconnect the iPod and reconnect to get it to come back. Soon the cut outs started happening very often, and I was unable to listen to an entire song before it would cut out again (think 2 minutes max, and happening while parked). The other annoying thing about the unit was that it always disconnected when the key was off. So when I started my truck it defaulted to AM/FM and I would have to press the aux button. With the PIE unit the source always remained on aux even when the truck was off. I returned the unit to BrandMotion after a lengthy fight with their customer service, and eventually ended up requesting a charge back on my credit card because they wouldn't refund me even though they had their merchandise back.

I decided to put the PIE unit back in. Since the static was annoying and that connection wasn't great, I used piggy back connectors to hook it to positive constant and ground coming from the harness on the back of the head unit. This helped a little but the static is still noticeable. At least it doesn’t cut out like the BrandMotion unit. I also realized how much I missed the control options. With PIE, I can select either head unit control or iPod control. Both allow me to change songs via the seek buttons, but on iPod control mode I can use the actual iPod to search through artists, playlists, etc. I don’t do this while driving, but when getting ready to leave, or I might have a passenger do it. BUt it is simply not possible to use the actual iPod to select a song with the BrandMotion unit without disconnecting it first. I also tested an iPod touch and my old iPhone to see if they also have static, and they do. I think the static comes from some type of fault in the PIE unit itself.

So, can anyone recommend a better solution? Should I try a replacement PIE unit to see if the static goes away? I’m not ordering from BrandMotion ever again, so I need a unit from somewhere else that sounds good, stays on the correct source, and doesn't cut out every 2 minutes.

Last edited by jlboan; 10-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

I never had any luck with any of these ipod adapters. I found I was better off putting in an aftermarket HU. For less than $300 you can get a good one with bluetooth and ipod controls.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I was going to put in an Ipod adaptor but after pricing and reading the reviews, I replaced the HU. Initially did not see any reason for a video screen so did not get one. Sure wish I had now as it would work with a rear view reverse camera. The car has the rear camera and it is great. Sure miss it when backing the truck.
I got a good head unit but for just a few more $$$ could have had the video screen also.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
I was going to put in an Ipod adaptor but after pricing and reading the reviews, I replaced the HU. Initially did not see any reason for a video screen so did not get one. Sure wish I had now as it would work with a rear view reverse camera. The car has the rear camera and it is great. Sure miss it when backing the truck.
I got a good head unit but for just a few more $$$ could have had the video screen also.
I agree Joe. I had one without the screen also. Quickly returned it for one with screen. Camera and better readout on iPod is nice to have.

Quick Reply: Factory iPod integration question