Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

F150 component sets.....1 or 2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool F150 component sets.....1 or 2?

I have ordered an amp:...............(Alpine-MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel)
RMS Power Per Channel Into 4 Ohms: 50W X 4 (1% THD)
RMS Power Per Channel Into 2 Ohms: 75W X 4
Brigded 4 Ohms: 150W X 2

Should I:

a)buy two component sets (for front and back)? If so, do i have tweeters mounted high or down next to 6.5? and run all four with this amp?

or...

b)buy one decent component set (Alpine, Infinity...?) for up front and a set of 6x8" for the back? .......and if so, do i amp them all or dedicate the amp to the front components?

p.s.......... I dont know if it matters, but, i already have a tma 500 running two jl 10's installed......do i need a capacitor after i install this alpine amp? im thinking no but id like to hear from the more experienced than i

its an 06 f150 standard cab w factory head unit (i probably need to get an aftermarket head unit, but i like it to look plain---(the subs are a clean install.....very hard to see)

THANKS for your time.
Jk
Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Well it is all about what you want. The way most people on here seem to go is to put a set of comps in the front and leave the stockers in the back. But if you want to upgrade the rears to something better then just buy a set of coaxials back there and fade it to the front a little bit that way it makes it sound like the sound is coming in front of you instead of the rear. Then you will have the rears for fillers. But that is totally your choice and all up to how much money you have to spend. Just amp the comps and leave the rears unamped.

I do recommend Infinity comps though. I have always like the sound of them and they are not that bad on price either. But everyone likes different things so if there is something else you like then go with them.

No you will not need a capacitor after installing the other amp. You should be good. If you do notice lights dimming or anything then do the big 3 or 4 upgrade before a capacitor. That will help out more then a capacitor will.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You don't need rear speakers in a regular cab truck, they screw up your imaging, so if you have them, disconnect them.

IMHO, get a nice set of comps and install the tweets in the factory location (above the mids in the door) and run that 4 channel bridged to the comps.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Default So did I.....?

Thanks for both replies---

so i did not even need the 4 channel amp? i can just power the comps with a basic two channel? and leave the rears on the head units power (or even disconnect them completely)? the imaging thing makes sense....

i had not realized that---i had figured on amping a comp set up front and also amping some 6x8's in rear--------well.....hopefully i can return the amp THANKS

also, i find that with the amp i ordered, if i put it into 2 channel bridged to the comps, its in 4 ohm-----the infinitys comps i ordered say 2 ohm is best.......that going to be okay or should i return the amp?

THX

Last edited by larrygarryman; 08-23-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I love my rear speakers in my '91 reg cab. But they are on the floor and are 6x9 3 ways. I'd suggest that for just some middle filler. And for the components, mounting the tweeter higher should give you a better "sound stage" seeing as it will be closer to your ear
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by larrygarryman
Thanks for both replies---

so i did not even need the 4 channel amp? i can just power the comps with a basic two channel? and leave the rears on the head units power (or even disconnect them completely)? the imaging thing makes sense....
Yes, Yes, Disconnect them.

Originally Posted by larrygarryman
also, i find that with the amp i ordered, if i put it into 2 channel bridged to the comps, its in 4 ohm-----the infinitys comps i ordered say 2 ohm is best.......that going to be okay or should i return the amp?

THX
You shouldn't run bridged at 2 ohms on that amp, what speakers did you order?

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
I love my rear speakers in my '91 reg cab. But they are on the floor and are 6x9 3 ways. I'd suggest that for just some middle filler. And for the components, mounting the tweeter higher should give you a better "sound stage" seeing as it will be closer to your ear
You want the sound stage to be directly in front of you at eye level, but there is also an issue with path length which can move the image left and right. Ideally you want an equal length between each tweeter and your ears, so the best spot is actually in the kickpanels. When your ears hear the sound at the same time, your brain thinks the image is in front of you.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I must just have weird taste then. I like being surrounded by the music, not just with it in front of me. Different strokes for different folks
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a good comp for the fronts...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM

i ordered the alpine MRP-f300 amp (Alpine-MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel)
RMS Power Per Channel Into 4 Ohms: 50W X 4 (1% THD)
RMS Power Per Channel Into 2 Ohms: 75W X 4
Brigded 4 Ohms: 150W X 2
and Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System
Power Handling, RMS:75 Watts
Power Handling, Peak:225 Watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m):92dB
Frequency Response:67Hz - 21kHz
Impedance:2 Ohms
Mounting Depth:2-1/4 inches
Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
I must just have weird taste then. I like being surrounded by the music, not just with it in front of me. Different strokes for different folks
its not just you. i'm the same way... i like to be engulfed by the music....

Quick Reply: F150 component sets.....1 or 2?