Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

F150 BIG stereo system owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default F150 BIG stereo system owners

I consider myself to have an "above average" sound system in my 2006 Ford F150. I've got (4) 10's in my F150 and I'm constantly finding myself wanting more.. MUCH MORE! My wife and I were joking about my stereo system in my F150 when she made the statement, "I don't care what you do to your truck". She gave me the nod of approval to do whatever I want to the truck as long as she could get a new car in the next couple of months. Perfect!

Well, I am heavily considering going with TEN 10" subs ~or~ SIX 15" subs. Does anyone have a BIG sound system in their F150? I'm not too concerned about Hummers, Tahoes, Escalades, Excursions, Impalas, Civics, etc.. I'm pretty much interested in real builds by real people in privately owned F150's (F250 & F350 owners too). I would be VERY interested in your input. I'm not interested in the BIG BUDGET STEREO GIANT owned / sponsored F150's.

To those who do own said vehicles, how is your vehicle used? Daily driver? Weekend warrior? Show truck? Do you have any issues with the F150 interior? Have you experienced any issues with blowing the seals on your windshield? Your 3rd brake light? Do you wish you could down size the system because of the added weight or bulkiness? If you have any pictures or videos, please feel free to post them up in here and any comments about doing a BIG sound system in our trucks, whether positive or negative, are always welcomed. Let's remain civilized and on topic.

Last edited by officermartinez; 08-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by officermartinez:
cosway (11-07-2012), Justin Shortt (11-13-2019)
Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Rasslin

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

I used to work at a premiere boutique back in the 90's when big stereos were the craze. If I were going to do your truck for LOUD, I would put a bandpass enclosure in the bed ported into the cab of the truck. Depending on how loud you want and how much bed you want to sacrifice is how many drivers I would install. Now a days you can do multiple amps to a single driver so it doesn't require a massive amount of woofers any more just something that can handle a ton of power and the power to drive it. Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

not sure what cab style you have. But if you dont want to do a blow through, i would just do a wall.
The following users liked this post:
Justin Shortt (11-13-2019)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM

I've got an extended cab (super cab). I'd prefer not to cut through my bed and I am thinking about a "half" wall. I still need the ability to see completely out of the back of my window. I've spoken to a few companies about this project and have received some positive feedback.

A few days ago, I talked to a local speaker company here in Fort Worth called Toby. I took my truck up there and we did a few preliminary measurements for (3) of their Toby Outlaw 15" subwoofer bandpass enclosures. I'm looking at roughly 300 pounds of added weight for (3) of their custom enclosed 15's.

I'm also talking directly to Polk Audio at the moment. I've explained to them that I would like to use their MM series drivers for this build. I'm still uncertain about which road to take but it's looking like I would either do TEN 10's (maybe TWELVE 10's).. Since I recently built my custom center console, I will be using those (2) 10's since they take up NO room in the rear seating area. In the rear seating area, I could do an enclosure for (8) 10's or an enclosure for (6) 15's. Either setup should bump really hard and since the Polk Audio MM series subs would be used, they use a really small amount of airspace for optimum sound.

Polk Audio MM1040 10" subs - .65 cuft per sealed sub enclosure.
Polk Audio MM1540 15" subs - 1.5 cuft per sealed sub enclosure.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by officermartinez
I've got an extended cab (super cab). I'd prefer not to cut through my bed and I am thinking about a "half" wall. I still need the ability to see completely out of the back of my window. I've spoken to a few companies about this project and have received some positive feedback.

A few days ago, I talked to a local speaker company here in Fort Worth called Toby. I took my truck up there and we did a few preliminary measurements for (3) of their Toby Outlaw 15" subwoofer bandpass enclosures. I'm looking at roughly 300 pounds of added weight for (3) of their custom enclosed 15's.

I'm also talking directly to Polk Audio at the moment. I've explained to them that I would like to use their MM series drivers for this build. I'm still uncertain about which road to take but it's looking like I would either do TEN 10's (maybe TWELVE 10's).. Since I recently built my custom center console, I will be using those (2) 10's since they take up NO room in the rear seating area. In the rear seating area, I could do an enclosure for (8) 10's or an enclosure for (6) 15's. Either setup should bump really hard and since the Polk Audio MM series subs would be used, they use a really small amount of airspace for optimum sound.

Polk Audio MM1040 10" subs - .65 cuft per sealed sub enclosure.
Polk Audio MM1540 15" subs - 1.5 cuft per sealed sub enclosure.
your 4 sub build was awesome, so needless to say I can't wait to see what you do. My suggestion would be a wall seeing as the MM1040s take no airspace you could probably fit a whole lot of them in a half wall. I haven't seen a half wall in an extended cab F150. My friend Vince however has a crew cab tundra with 6 12" Sundown Audios which require a lot more space (I think about 1.75 ft^3 ported) so you might be able to use some of these pictures for reference and or ideas . Looking through some of my car show pictures I was able to find a half wall in an extended cab chevy I'll attach those images as well.

Video:
http://youtu.be/tIbMkJvNP_o

Name:  609019d3.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  545.5 KB
Name:  5294c46a.jpg
Views: 3391
Size:  1.51 MB
Name:  9e58e253.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  444.6 KB

Heres the half wall:

Name:  9438f254.jpg
Views: 3279
Size:  687.2 KB

Sorry I don't have any F150 ones but I hope these will help you.
The following 2 users liked this post by ibf150:
FrdCrzy18 (04-22-2022), Justin Shortt (11-13-2019)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM

I'm going to keep looking through my car show pictures to see if I can find anything else that might help you.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Name:  b1ceb2ff.jpg
Views: 4579
Size:  92.0 KB

4 15s in a hideous box but I think he got 3rd place at Scrapin the Coast
The following users liked this post:
Justin Shortt (11-13-2019)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Those are actually wonderful ideas. I spent about an hour yesterday taking measurements, re-taking measurements and taking more measurements.. haha. I did a few rough sketches and everything seems like it would fit just fine. In fact, I probably have enough room to actually accommodate (3) rows of 10" MM subs for a total of TWELVE 10's in the rear seating area. But, that would require me to set aside money for another amp and an additional (4) subs to my budget (probably not going to happen).

As it stands now, atleast for the next month or so, I will keep all (4) of my Polk Audio MM1040 (dual voice coil subs). I eventually when this build gets under way, I will look for a buyer who is interested in buying my F150 under the rear seat Subthump box that has two of my Polk Audio MM1040 dvc subs in it. I will also sell off my Polk Audio PA600.1 Class D mono amplifier.

In return, if I end up going the Polk Audio route, I will have to make the decision to go with 10's or 15's. In my measurements, I am trying NO to exceed a rear 1/2 wall height = to the measurement of where the rear cab meets the rear window of the truck. Then I would have to figure out where to mount (3) really large amplifiers and I should consider doing a few extra deep cycle / deep dry cell batteries (like XS, Kinetic, Stinger, etc). Now that I have that Mechman 270 amp alternator in my F150, all I would have to do is re-do the wiring a little, buy plenty of 0/1 awg wire and figure out a mounting solution for the added batteries.

Out of the three different setups that I have in mind, I think adding (8) 10's would be the easiest. Pretty straight forward 12" x 12" x 12.5" would put me exactly at .7 cubic ft (perfect for Polks recommendation of .65).
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by officermartinez
Those are actually wonderful ideas. I spent about an hour yesterday taking measurements, re-taking measurements and taking more measurements.. haha. I did a few rough sketches and everything seems like it would fit just fine. In fact, I probably have enough room to actually accommodate (3) rows of 10" MM subs for a total of TWELVE 10's in the rear seating area. But, that would require me to set aside money for another amp and an additional (4) subs to my budget (probably not going to happen).

As it stands now, atleast for the next month or so, I will keep all (4) of my Polk Audio MM1040 (dual voice coil subs). I eventually when this build gets under way, I will look for a buyer who is interested in buying my F150 under the rear seat Subthump box that has two of my Polk Audio MM1040 dvc subs in it. I will also sell off my Polk Audio PA600.1 Class D mono amplifier.

In return, if I end up going the Polk Audio route, I will have to make the decision to go with 10's or 15's. In my measurements, I am trying NO to exceed a rear 1/2 wall height = to the measurement of where the rear cab meets the rear window of the truck. Then I would have to figure out where to mount (3) really large amplifiers and I should consider doing a few extra deep cycle / deep dry cell batteries (like XS, Kinetic, Stinger, etc). Now that I have that Mechman 270 amp alternator in my F150, all I would have to do is re-do the wiring a little, buy plenty of 0/1 awg wire and figure out a mounting solution for the added batteries.

Out of the three different setups that I have in mind, I think adding (8) 10's would be the easiest. Pretty straight forward 12" x 12" x 12.5" would put me exactly at .7 cubic ft (perfect for Polks recommendation of .65).
Can't wait to see what you do, I think the 10s would be cooler I mean how many people can say yeahhhhhh I have 12 10s!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

six 12's in the bed
Name:  truck8.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  64.8 KB
Name:  truck11-1.jpg
Views: 5623
Size:  66.1 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by nyterydrtuckn26ss:
FrdCrzy18 (04-22-2022), Justin Shortt (11-13-2019)

Quick Reply: F150 BIG stereo system owners