Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Dynamat Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dynamat Question

I've already got all the Dynamat for my '13 single cab F150. I bought the door kit to cover the two doors and the trunk kit to cover the back wall, the back-sides (that back corner area behind the seats where there is another speaker), and I'll use whatever is left to go on the floor underneath my down-firing sub.

My question is in regard to the door kits, after I install the Dynamat, should I tape the wiring harness down? I'd hate to put all that work into dampening sound (as well as all the other benefits) only to have my door harnesses rattling around. So what say you, should I tape down the wiring harnesses to the Dynamat or leave it be? I'm assuming doing so can only have positive or no benefits so I probably will, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Thanks fellers.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say go for it... That's alot of time, money and work you put into your truck...might as well do it right.

Did you snap any pics?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Well, I haven't started any of my installation yet. You can see in my profile all the mods I have planned, and by planned, I mean sitting in my closet ready to go whenever I make time.

I plan on taking pictures throughout and doing a Members Build thread, we'll see how long that last.

What kind of tape would you use? I can use electrical tape and put strips perpendicular to the harness wires every few inches or so, but if there was a wider option that would work well so I could run the tape along the length of the wires, that'd be nice.

I know, I'm being nitpicky/tedious. This is a forum for trucks, what else are we supposed to do?

Last edited by chrisross; 11-27-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM

From my experience, I don't think there's a better tape than Gorilla Tape. That ***** sticks to everything! The dynamat backing is kinda like tin foil if i'm not mistaken...right? If so, gorilla tape is the ticket.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

use pieces of dynamat or closed cell foam to tape them down. best method by far
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Use Dynamat! That's a great idea, I'll do that.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Never used dynamat myself. That's some good advice from someone with experience.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by chrisross
Use Dynamat! That's a great idea, I'll do that.
oh man just noticed the shiny new truck in your signature, congrats! I am just about to dive into my truck as well to do the system. Unfortunately I am contending with a rain forest winter up in Vancouver so needless to say its wet out! Probably wont get around to getting the system in til the new year, a set back of expensive housing is what you can afford doesn't come with a garage :P

Excited to see how your system turns out!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brianstemm
From my experience, I don't think there's a better tape than Gorilla Tape. That ***** sticks to everything! The dynamat backing is kinda like tin foil if i'm not mistaken...right? If so, gorilla tape is the ticket.
Your exactly right about the backing, its an extremely thin aluminum to help keep rigidity. The sticky part is butyl rubber which is what gives sound damping material that solid bond as well as the added weight so you cut down on all the nasty resonance in the factory panels.

Quick Reply: Dynamat Question