Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Double-Din Headunit Recommendation, 2012 STX

Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Double-Din Headunit Recommendation, 2012 STX

I realized I should start my own thread in this forum.

I'm looking to add a backup camera to my truck. Instead of buying a screen to display the backup camera on, and having this extra screen hanging out in the cab of the pickup, I'm looking to replace my stock headunit. Once I realized these were actually pretty affordable, it seems like a no-brainer to go this route.

First, a little about my truck:
2012 F150 STX 5.0 Regular Cab. Standard radio, no touchscreen, so Sync, no steering wheel controls. I think I have four speakers.

For now I'm looking to just replace the headunit, and hookup one of the Subwoofer/Amp combos I have sitting in my basement.
No current plans to replace the stock speakers, though that may change in the future. Expandability is one of the benefits of aftermarket headunits after all.

Now, a description of what I want in a headunit. If I'm going to be spending money on one, I'm going to want to get some features.

Nav isn't really important to me, but the right kind of Bluetooth connectivity is. I always thought the aftermarket was ahead of OEMs in terms of technology and features, and I'd like alot of the functionality that my wifes 2013 Toyota Avalon has.

In that, I have an app I installed on my phone. Android phone by the way. It runs all of the time in the background, and allows the headunit to connect to my phone over Bluetooth, and use the data connection on my phone for it's built-in Apps.
Most Apps I don't use, but I do use Pandora alot. I have a paid Pandora subscription, and I just find it very useful. It's really nice to get into the car, and call up Pandora on the car, and just start playing music, without having to touch my phone. No wires, no plug-ins, no starting apps on my phone, phone just stays in my pocket.

I'm getting alot of conflicting reports on how this actually works. I've tried calling two separate stereo installers here in the Twin Cities and gotten two completely different responses.
When I went into Best Buy to try and link up my phone to the display models and see if I could get it to actually work, none of them worked, but the sales guy told me the headunits were in "Demo Mode" and that they refused to take a unit out of "Demo Mode" to demonstrate the actual functionality. I was pretty pissed at the lazy bums for that, but what do I expect eh, it is after all Best Buy.

Seems like all of the double din 6 and 7 inch screens are WVGA (800x480 I think) resolution, so I am tempted to save a bit of money and get a 6 inch screen, especially since that'll also get me a volume button. But the display models in Best Buy had a much brighter 7-inch screen. Not sure if that was all in the backlight setting though.

Anyway, here is my bullet list
  • Double-Din
  • Backup Camera compatible (So that generally means DVD)
  • Bluetooth
  • Bluetooth Data Streaming for Pandora
  • Must work for Android, not just iPhone
  • Expandability
  • Satellite Radio would be nice, as would HD radio

Models I've been considering:

Kenwood DDX-491HD Kenwood DDX-491HD

Kenwood DDX771 Kenwood DDX771

PIONEER AVHX5600BHS PIONEER AVHX5600BHS

Will these do what I am looking for? Are there alternatives that I should consider in this price range?

Also, what else do I need? A radio Bezel. Schlose or Metra right? Do I need any adapters or anything like that?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I went on to Crutchfield and put in your bullet list and it returned over 20 different head units (including HD radio) so your choices are wide open but your thinking with Bluetooth and DVD because of the back up camera are right on. So you know, most radios have add-on XM capability with a separate module that you can buy for about $50.

You've listed some nice units so you're going to have to make the call on that, most importantly, the 7" or 6" screen and then narrow it down from there. I personally like Pioneer and Kenwood equally and don't think you could go wrong with either.

As far as Bezel, get the Scosche, it looks so much better as it is one piece and a perfect fit. You will also need an Antenna Adapter Metra 40-CR10. Lastly, you will need an adapter for the wiring but I am having a difficult time finding that one. Maybe someone here with experience can chime in because Crutchfield will tell you that you need a PAC C2R-FRD1 or Maestro ADS-MRR. Obviously they will work but without Sync or Steering Wheel controls the old fashioned Ford Plug for $6 should work as well. Like I said, hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by troutspinner
I went on to Crutchfield and put in your bullet list and it returned over 20 different head units (including HD radio) so your choices are wide open but your thinking with Bluetooth and DVD because of the back up camera are right on. So you know, most radios have add-on XM capability with a separate module that you can buy for about $50.

You've listed some nice units so you're going to have to make the call on that, most importantly, the 7" or 6" screen and then narrow it down from there. I personally like Pioneer and Kenwood equally and don't think you could go wrong with either.

As far as Bezel, get the Scosche, it looks so much better as it is one piece and a perfect fit. You will also need an Antenna Adapter Metra 40-CR10. Lastly, you will need an adapter for the wiring but I am having a difficult time finding that one. Maybe someone here with experience can chime in because Crutchfield will tell you that you need a PAC C2R-FRD1 or Maestro ADS-MRR. Obviously they will work but without Sync or Steering Wheel controls the old fashioned Ford Plug for $6 should work as well. Like I said, hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Thanks. One of the installers here locally is pushing the JVC products. SO I might go that route.

Do you know if Pandora through Bluetooth works the way I described it above? That's my main sticking point, if I can get data to work over bluetooth on my Android.

Who knows, maybe they all do that and I am worried about nothing.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kytann
Thanks. One of the installers here locally is pushing the JVC products. SO I might go that route.

Do you know if Pandora through Bluetooth works the way I described it above? That's my main sticking point, if I can get data to work over bluetooth on my Android.

Who knows, maybe they all do that and I am worried about nothing.
When I went to crutchfield, one of the things I did check off was Pandora for Android so I'd have to say yes. You have me curious, I am going to go see how my pandora works, if it will just pick up where it left off. BRB
Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 PM

So I just tried the bluetooth thing with Pandora and it works. Picks right up where it left off upon entering the vehicle over the bluetooth app. This is with an iPhone but I've read that it works even better with Android.

To explain further, there is a Pandora App on the Kenwood HU but activating the Pandora app does nothing. It is not until you plug the phone into USB that the App responds. I've read that the Android will use the app though just over bluetooth.

Personally, I do not listen to audio over bluetooth, I use it for phone only, I am a bit ***** when it comes to music and bluetooth music is a no for me.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by troutspinner
So I just tried the bluetooth thing with Pandora and it works. Picks right up where it left off upon entering the vehicle over the bluetooth app. This is with an iPhone but I've read that it works even better with Android.

To explain further, there is a Pandora App on the Kenwood HU but activating the Pandora app does nothing. It is not until you plug the phone into USB that the App responds. I've read that the Android will use the app though just over bluetooth.

Personally, I do not listen to audio over bluetooth, I use it for phone only, I am a bit ***** when it comes to music and bluetooth music is a no for me.
Exactly my point. Playing Pandora on the phone and using the bluetooth connection to transfer the audio to the headunit sounds terrible, and isn't what I want.

I want that Pandora App on the headunit to play through the Bluetooth connection. That's how the Toyota system does it, and it sounds way better. Because it's using the bluetooth connection for a digital stream, not an analog stream.

What head unit do you have anyway?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Looking at the Sony XAV-65 now. My thinking is that is the bluetooth won't work the way I was envisioning, then why bother paying for it.

Any thoughts on Sony headunits?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 PM

I am using the Kenwood DNX691HD.

I would still get a HU that has Bluetooth though, the whole hands free laws and such and it is true, you are not as distracted when you are openly talking vs having a phone up to the ear.

I seen your other post in your other thread. Since you do not have Sync or SWC, I don't think you need the PAC. I am pretty sure you just need the old fashioned Ford plug.....I have not been able to find another thread where someone used it though. I have found threads where they identify the wires and they are basic just like the old fashioned Ford plug.

That plug is cheap, I'd try that first before shelling out a bunch of cash on a PAC or Maestro in your setup. Hopefully someone with a similar setup who has done this can chime in.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM

I think I am going to buy the Pac and the old Ford plug. I'll try the old ford plug first, and maybe get to return the Pac.

Do you have a part number on the old ford plug you keep talking about?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 PM

Nevermind on that.
I just placed an order on Crutchfield for the head unit.

Sony XAV-65
Pac Unit C2R-FRD1
Metra Radio Bezel
Sony XSGT5738F Speakers

Total: $300

The speakers were $50, with a $50 discount when bundled with the Head Unit, so essentially free.
Once I added the Pac unit and the radio bezel, it was more expensive to order from Amazon, not even counting the free speakers.

Now I just gotta order the backup camera

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double-Din Headunit Recommendation, 2012 STX