Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Double Din for best iPod Playback

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Double Din for best iPod Playback

Right now I am running the 6-disc cd player which is completely worthless when it comes to playing an ipod (I am using an FM transmitter) or playing any sort of cd (jams). I'm looking for a new double din cd player which I can use to play my ipod though and play CDs/MP3s when needed. I like having the ability to control the iPod through the click wheel (as opposed to using the cd player), but it seems the only way to do this is through AUX because USB plays through the CD Player. Is the best way to hook up an ipod (in terms of sound quality) while still using the click wheel through AUX? Also what cd player would you recommend for this? Also I am considering adding all new speakers in addition to the head unit. I would like a head unit/speaker set-up that gives me the option of adding an amp and subwoofer in the future if I choose too. Any recommendations on both?

Last edited by MCanavan6; 08-24-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added speaker recommendation
Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought a JVC KW-XR610 (google it so you can get the pix). I put this unit in my Caddy - and I'm thinking about slapping it in my '98 F-150 as well. USB front end controls the iPod. This unit also has 2 sets of RCA outputs for sub AND external (full range) amp. Single CD player plays all formats, and has an aux in for non-iPod MP3 players. Neat unit for ~$180.

Note, you might have to modify your internal dash - top part will need to be cleared (cut) so the deck will fit. I'm pleased with mine. You can also change the color of the display to match yours (I intend to do the LED conversion, so that green will be gone).
Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MCanavan6
Right now I am running the 6-disc cd player which is completely worthless when it comes to playing an ipod (I am using an FM transmitter) or playing any sort of cd (jams). I'm looking for a new double din cd player which I can use to play my ipod though and play CDs/MP3s when needed. I like having the ability to control the iPod through the click wheel (as opposed to using the cd player), but it seems the only way to do this is through AUX because USB plays through the CD Player. Is the best way to hook up an ipod (in terms of sound quality) while still using the click wheel through AUX? Also what cd player would you recommend for this? Also I am considering adding all new speakers in addition to the head unit. I would like a head unit/speaker set-up that gives me the option of adding an amp and subwoofer in the future if I choose too. Any recommendations on both?
I havent hooked up my ipod touch to my Clarion NX409. But i have read that the interface is sick. I guess i will find out 2night.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the Clarion interface is touch screen, and when an iPod is connected, the head unit display is similar. The JVC is push button only, so iPod navigation is limited to the default playlist, where you can go forward and back. Don't know how it works with multiple playlists yet - my iPod is synced to my computer with one playlist, so the JVC picks that up fine. iPod displays the JVC logo when connected by USB, so it seems to be well integrated.

JVC unit is $114 for a refurb, $148 new on eBay.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

AVH-P3300BT

I love mine. It works great with my iPhone also.

Chris
Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM

I have been looking into one myself. Have been considering the JVC KW-AVX640. I like the idea of a the removable faceplate. Should be able to work iPod through AUX in or touchscreen on the faceplate from what I understand. This one has USB in back.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM

I wanted a unit like you that had great iPod/mp3/Bluetooth tech. After a ton of research I ended up ordering this clarion:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CX50...ch=Clarion+501

Quick Reply: Double Din for best iPod Playback