Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Cutting the Factory trim piece

Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting the Factory trim piece

So I hate the SNYC in my truck, Drops my Ipod 1 out of 10 times and makes a cracking noise every 30 seconds or so... Anyways I'm over that and have decided to get a Aftermarket HU ... My only problem is I hate the way the dull black trim kits look.. So has anyone tried to dremel or cut the factory piece to fit an aftermarket HU?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Some have but you can get the aftermarket one and either paint it or cover it. There are threads showing how to do it. Then you can keep the factory one for when you put the OEM radio back in it. You should also check for SYNC updates. Mine doesn't have any problems.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 PM

I wont put the OEM back in the truck.. I would just let the HU go with the truck...this will give me a reason to buy a new one when I get a new truck .... As far as updates go its a brand new truck...I guess there could be one... But to me the SYNC system is junk...do you not hear a sound like the CD skipping every 30 seconds or so? Looking at the trim piece it looks like it could be done I would just need to frame it up to hide the cut marks..
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3m makes a 3d carbon fiber vinyl product, that looks nice. Or there's always fake wood grain kits from WOW or sherwood products, but their
expensive.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the 3m film on my scosche faceplate, looks better than stock. Faceplate and film was less than $50. Just search the audio forum, you'll find my pics of the install.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 AM

I have the FX2 so wood is out. I also saw your 3M one, It looks good might do that...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by crackin5
I wont put the OEM back in the truck.. I would just let the HU go with the truck...this will give me a reason to buy a new one when I get a new truck .... As far as updates go its a brand new truck...I guess there could be one... But to me the SYNC system is junk...do you not hear a sound like the CD skipping every 30 seconds or so? Looking at the trim piece it looks like it could be done I would just need to frame it up to hide the cut marks..
No. All devices work great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cutting the Factory trim piece