Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Critique my AV system plans

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Critique my AV system plans

Hello all. First time poster, long time lurker. After several years with my truck, I'm finally going to upgrade the sad stock system. Here is a list of the equipment I have somewhat narrowed it down to, although it is not written in stone, and I'm open for suggestions. My taste in Music varies, but mostly Electronic, Dance/House, Smooth Jazz, Soft Rock. My focus is more on sound quality, rather than shear SPL.

1. Kenwood DDX-616 Double Din DVD Headunit with Ipod AV Cable, and HD Radio upgrade module. May do a Nav module upgrade in the future, but for now, I'll stick with my Dash Top Garmin. Approx $475 for the HU, $30 for the Cable, and $100 for the HD Radio module.

2. Infinity Reference 6820cs 6x8 Components for front $109.00 (On Sale from Crutchfield)

3. Infinity Reference 6832CF 6x8 Coax's for the Rear Fills ($68.00) (ebay)

4. Q-Logic Q-Custom Single 10" Sub with a Rockford woofer included ($250) Buying direct from Q-Logic on ebay (I'm sure the included Rockford woofer is a cheap'o one, but I can replace the driver at a later date for some thing better.

5. Alpine PDX-5, 5 Channel Amp ($350) ebay

6. PAC Rear License Plate Backup Camera (Kind of expensive, but looks nice) $239.00 Not totally sure I want to spend this much on a cam.

7. Rear Video monitor for the kids (not sure which one yet, still looking, need advice. I'd like one that can attach to my factory ceiling rails.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to ruffle any feathers, as this may not be important to you, but your proposed head unit doesnt state that it has A2DP (bluetooth Music Streaming profile). I dont really have a decent alternative without going expensive. It would be nice if someone made a non-navigation Double-DIN receiver with A2DP, RDS, HD Radio and Voice Recognition (all built in...not just add "ready").
Old 07-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks like you've done your research. Check out knukonceptz.com for amp wiring. You'll probably want some wireless headphone for the youngins too. I recommend the Metra harnesses.

Check out the Tymphany Peerless XXLS 10 if you decide to look at a replacement subs, it rocks in my Qlogic box fed by 300W RMS. One note on the QLogic, you will lose significant heel space behind the driver (not as big of an issue in your Screw, but FYI), here's a pic in my Scab:
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks. If I decide to do 6.5" components for the front, are there adapter plates available to fit the woofer in the stock woofers 6x8 hole? I'm considering changing the fronts to Polk MM 6501's. I fear the Infinity Tweeters may be a bit bright and harsh.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Yeah, I've got 6.75" comps in mine. A few brands come with the adapters, but you can find them on ebay for $5-10 bucks. Just look for 6x8 adapter.

Find a shop near by and give them a listen if you can, I'm very happy with my Pioneer Premier TS-D720Cs http://www.pioneerusa.com/ephox/Stat...E720Review.pdf
Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks Gator. I never really thought of looking at Pioneer components. I guess I just assumed that speaker brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, and even Alpine wouldn't be that great. At least that's how it used to be.

Hey, let me ask you. How happy are you with that Q sub? How accurate of a sub is it? Does it give you smooth freguency response? Does it extend down low? Is it muddy at all? I really want a sub that has smooth accurate bass. I know, from my past experience (way back many years ago when I used to be into car audio), that lots of subs tend to be very boomy. Now that I'm older ( early 40's), I really want more articulate bass, without any muddiness.

Rob.

Last edited by Rob J; 07-16-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rob J
Thanks Gator. I never really thought of looking at Pioneer components. I guess I just assumed that speaker brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, and even Alpine wouldn't be that great. At least that's how it used to be.

Hey, let me ask you. How happy are you with that Q sub? How accurate of a sub is it? Does it give you smooth freguency response? Does it extend down low? Is it muddy at all? I really want a sub that has smooth accurate bass. I know, from my past experience (way back many years ago when I used to be into car audio), that lots of subs tend to be very boomy. Now that I'm older ( early 40's), I really want more articulate bass, without any muddiness.

Rob.
I did a lot of research this time around, and spent some time over at a sound quality forum called diyma.com. I saw some recommendations for that set of Pioneers over there as being a very good SQ set for the money (I think I got them for around $120) and decided to try them out. Same went for that Peerless sub, it's got a sensitivity of 93 dBs, so with the 300W RMS I'm giving it I'm getting impressive output. It's been awhile since I've had subs in a vehicle, so I don't have a lot of recent set ups to compare it to, but I am very satisfied with the Peerless SQ wise as well, it blends well with my overall soundstage, and it gets nice and low (at this point I'm more probably more bound by the accuracy of the stock head unit than the sub itself).
Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 PM

I just picked up a Q-Logic Sub on e-bay (direct from Q-Logic themselves). They had a Buy it now auction for $250, including the box, shipping, and they are even throwing in a Rockford Prime driver at no additional charge. I know the Rockford driver is an Entry level Rockford product, but for that price, I will use it for a bit, and consider the driver you are using at a later date. 93db efficiency is definitely a good number for a 10" driver. Most mobile audio subs are not that efficient. Most are in the 80's db range at 1w/1m. I'm familiar with Peerless drivers. They have a good reputation, and are a big OEM manufacturer of drivers for many quality home speaker lines.

Good thing I used e-bay through the Bing cashback program, and get 8% cashback on this purchase as well. I have earned hundreds of dollars this year cashback using the Bing program. It's too bad that they are discontinuing that service on July 30th. So, I need to order the rest of my gear before then.

BTW, yeah that is a good forum, I've been browsing it as well.

Yeah, I'd say you should look into getting an aftermarket HU. Our stock HU's aren't that clean. And, it sucks to have to run to an amp via high level, or through a line level converter. You tend to get all that distortion from the stock hu's amp. I have also been lately looking at the Pioneer 4200 deck, but the lack of a rotary volume **** is a bit of a turnoff for me. It does have a nicer GUI than Kenwood however. I'll decide this week. I'd also love to get a JL Audio 900/5 power amp, but just don't think I want to pony up the extra dough over the Alpine PDX-5. It's basically twice the price of the Alpine.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if you made your mind up on your equipmentyet...but I thought i'd throw my 2cents in. I've had Pioneer, Apline, JL, etc. in the past and they are all of great quality but I gave Diamond Audio a shot a few years back and haven't bought anything but since then. IMHO, you get the same sound quality for fraction of the price of its competitors. Diamond can get pricey but the mid-grade line is plenty for me and the price is fair, i listen to a wide variety of music and the SQL is great all the way around-I've got all diamond in my truck, components(front and Rear) Subs & amp.

As far as headunit goes, I would check out the JVC AVX series. They have come out with a unit that has bluetooth, nav, dvd, etc built and I have seen it all over online for an average of $500.00. Its nice to have everything all-in-one like djjr50 said, less clutter and about the same price buy the time you add in labor and the extra parts

Like I said just, my 2cents-

What you heard is right about Infinity, they to get a little high and "screechy"

Last edited by Ian_T_S; 07-18-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 AM

Change of plans. The only item on that list I'm using is the Q-Logic sub. Got an Alpine INA-W900 Nav HU (nice piece, just installed today) Real nice I-pod interface, and very fast boot time, compared to most other Nav HU's.

Picked up two Alpine PDX Amps, the new series, and am going with raw Dayton drivers for the front stage. Will run all active.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Critique my AV system plans