Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Components in front doors - What a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Components in front doors - What a difference!

Once of the first mods I did to my new truck last spring was to replace the factory speakers. I installed Polk db571 in the 4 doors and was really happy. I also added a sub to fill out the bottom. I have read many times guys who did coaxial in the back door and components in the front. They said it made a big difference. Now I have to agree. I installed Polk MM6501 in the front doors and mounted the tweeter where others installed theirs. I must say the change made a major difference. Tweets are more crisp and the sound seems a bit fuller. So glad I installed the components in the front doors. Well worth it.

Last edited by Tallyman89; 10-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
Once of the first mods I did to my new truck last spring was to replace the factory speakers. I installed Polk db571 in the 4 doors and was really happy. I also added a sub to fill out the bottom. I have read many times guys who did coaxial in the back door and components in the front. They said it made a big difference. Now I have to agree. I installed Polk MM6501 in the front doors and mounted the tweeter where others installed theirs. I must say the change made a major difference. Tweets are more crisp and the sound seems a bit fuller. So glad I installed the components in the front doors. Well worth it.
Are the front and rear door speakers amp'd or just using the stock hu? Been thinking about doing my speakers too but don't want to have to add an amp or sub and I'm afraid I'll be disappointed if I spend the money on just speakers and its not that big of a difference.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

It's amazing what a difference it makes isn't it! One of the unfortunate downfalls of the speakers in the 09-11 at least is the placement of the stock speakers. Way too far down in the doors and underneath the door handle just does not support any kind of clarity or brightness even if you replace with good aftermarket coaxials.

I did a similar thing to what you did and started with Infiny Kappa coaxials in the front and rear doors and have since upgraded my fronts to Boston SR60's with the tweeters up nice and high and mounted using their angled mounts that point them right at myself and the passengers. Makes a WORLD of difference!

Congrats on the worthwhile upgrade
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by BillK
Are the front and rear door speakers amp'd or just using the stock hu? Been thinking about doing my speakers too but don't want to have to add an amp or sub and I'm afraid I'll be disappointed if I spend the money on just speakers and its not that big of a difference.
Just powered off the stock HU and there is plenty of power for me. If you want an easy install go with coax in the doors. 20-30 minutes/door. If you want the best sound go with coax in back and component in front. I would recommend this. Either is better than stock. I noticed a more full sound. Start with changing the speakers then add a sub later if you need. I installed a powered sub and it fills me needs. If you do replace the speakers get high efficiency speakers (over 90db)

Last edited by Tallyman89; 10-03-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
It's amazing what a difference it makes isn't it! One of the unfortunate downfalls of the speakers in the 09-11 at least is the placement of the stock speakers. Way too far down in the doors and underneath the door handle just does not support any kind of clarity or brightness even if you replace with good aftermarket coaxials.

I did a similar thing to what you did and started with Infiny Kappa coaxials in the front and rear doors and have since upgraded my fronts to Boston SR60's with the tweeters up nice and high and mounted using their angled mounts that point them right at myself and the passengers. Makes a WORLD of difference!

Congrats on the worthwhile upgrade
Sure does make a difference. Noticed it immediately.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Just powered off the stock HU and there is plenty of power for me. If you want an easy install go with coax in the doors. 20-30 minutes/door. If you want the best sound go with coax in back and component in front. I would recommend this. Either is better than stock. I noticed a more full sound. Start with changing the speakers then add a sub later if you need. I installed a powered sub and it fills me needs. If you do replace the speakers get high efficiency speakers (over 90db)
If my initial plan is to not put in a sub do you think components in front is still a good idea or go with coax in all 4 doors. My concern is the lack of low freq. response with components up front and no sub to fill that range in.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Dazed and Confused

If my initial plan is to not put in a sub do you think components in front is still a good idea or go with coax in all 4 doors. My concern is the lack of low freq. response with components up front and no sub to fill that range in.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Go with components in front. They seem to have more bass and sound more full than coax. If I was to do over again would go components in front and coax in back from the start. The easist install is coax all around. The best sound is components in front coax in back.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Go with components in front. They seem to have more bass and sound more full than coax. If I was to do over again would go components in front and coax in back from the start. The easist install is coax all around. The best sound is components in front coax in back.
Thank you - I appreciate the reply! I think I will.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

Thank you - I appreciate the reply! I think I will.

Start with that then if not satisfied install a sub later. But I did notice more bass with the components I installed than the coax I had so you may not need a sub depending on your tastes and what you want. And $$$ too.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Now go sound deaden your front doors. Makes a HUGE difference!

Quick Reply: Components in front doors - What a difference!