Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Choppy FM In My 05

Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Choppy FM In My 05

Howdy everyone! I'm turning to those who have much more knowledge on this subject than me!

I've got a pioneer AVH-X1600 DVD head unit in my truck that I installed about two years ago. Up until recently, it has been performing fine. However, it seems as though every station I turn to experiences periods of erratic static-y "choppyness" (sorry for the awful description).

It does not sound like a loose speaker connection, as the sound does not occur when I'm using an aux input or when nothing is running through the unit. Additionally, it does not happen when the truck is off or not moving. I first believed it may have been weak signal, but it continues to occur when I'm driving within sight of the station, and it's on every station.When it is happening, it sounds like very quick bursts of a "ch ch ch" sound, while the content of the station continues in the background. Could something be physically rubbing the antenna cable causing some sort of interference? I re routed my CB coax in hopes of possibly fixing it, but that didn't help. I've unplugged the antenna on the head unit side and replugged it as well. Could it also be a bad ground or other wiring harness connection? I know there are a myriad of different possible causes, but I'm in the process of narrowing it down and finding possible causes before I dig into it! Thank you in advance!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choppy FM In My 05