Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Cheap Kicker soundstage upgrade alternative 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Cheap Kicker soundstage upgrade alternative 2

Hey guys, I wanted to offer a cheaper alternative to the Kicker soundstage upgrade. I know a lot of guys are opting to purchase the complete kicker soundstage system for around $600 or just the kicker sub for around $300.

Please note - this is my opinion and in no way suggesting that this alternative is better than the Kicker soundstage (though I did use the same Kicker speakers in the soundstage system), but I believe it's another alternative for achieving better sound over the Sony.

I feel that the Sony system is somewhat decent for what it is, but I knew that it needed enhancement with the overall sound, both in bass and clarity. My task was to get better clarity and bass without sacrificing the HU or my wallet.

This was done on my 2013 FX4 with Sony Nav system.

Components used:

1. Kicker Speakers CS68 - for all four doors $69.99 pair x 2 = $139.98
Amazon.com : Kicker 40CS684 6"x8" 2-way Car Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Electronics Amazon.com : Kicker 40CS684 6"x8" 2-way Car Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Electronics

2. Audio Control LC21 - for clean conversion of high speaker signal to low signal.

$69.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-to-Low-2-Channel-Line-Output-Converter-AudioControl-LC2i-with-AccuBASS-NEW-/131172490770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8a7d5e12
3. Rockville RW8ca powered sub with Amp kit $99.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockville-RW8CA-8-600-Watt-Under-Seat-Slim-Amplified-Car-Subwoofer-Wire-Kit-/301469569773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4630fc92ed
Total price $309.96 for the complete upgrade.

Obviously, you can choose different door speakers or a different powered sub, but this is what I choose based on reviews and my budget goal of $300.

The installation was pretty straight forward, check out my diagram below for reference. Door speakers where all replaced and the sub was mounted behind the rear seat (driver side), fits like a glove. The LC2i was mounted under the rear seat (passenger side). Tapped the speaker signals from the Sony sub to the LC2i and left the sony sub connected (for the little extra bass it provided, not really needed)

The Kicker speakers sing so beautifully compared to the sony's and the Rockville sub punches clean LOUD bass. It literally overshadows the sony sub which sounds non existing. Let's put it this way, do you remember the water cup scene in Jurassic Park? Thats exactly the kind of bass I'm getting from the Rockville. I had a water bottle sitting on my armrest and I could see the ripples in the water, same for my rear view mirror, I $H i T you not!

Name:  subinstall_zpslv2c2mva.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  43.6 KB

In conclusion, I'm extremely pleased with my upgrade. No, I won't win any sound competitions, but I wasn't after that. I just wanted clean sound with punchy bass, mission accomplished!

Last edited by jesusv; 03-10-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jesusv
Hey guys, I wanted to offer a cheaper alternative to the Kicker soundstage upgrade. I know a lot of guys are opting to purchase the complete kicker soundstage system for around $600 or just the kicker sub for around $300.

Please note - this is my opinion and in no way suggesting that this alternative is better than the Kicker soundstage (though I did use the same Kicker speakers in the soundstage system), but I believe it's another alternative for achieving better sound over the Sony.

I feel that the Sony system is somewhat decent for what it is, but I knew that it needed enhancement with the overall sound, both in bass and clarity. My task was to get better clarity and bass without sacrificing the HU or my wallet.

This was done on my 2013 FX4 with Sony Nav system.

Components used:

1. Kicker Speakers CS68 - for all four doors $69.99 pair x 2 = $139.98
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-40CS684-quot-2-way-Speakers/dp/B00BGRMHX4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426027025&sr =1-1&keywords=kicker+cs68

2. Audio Control LC21 - for clean conversion of high speaker signal to low signal.

$69.99

Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-to-Low-2-Channel-Line-Output-Converter-AudioControl-LC2i-with-AccuBASS-NEW-/131172490770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8a7d 5e12

3. Rockville RW8ca powered sub with Amp kit $99.99
Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockville-RW8CA-8-600-Watt-Under-Seat-Slim-Amplified-Car-Subwoofer-Wire-Kit-/301469569773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4630fc 92ed

Total price $309.96 for the complete upgrade.

Obviously, you can choose different door speakers or a different powered sub, but this is what I choose based on reviews and my budget goal of $300.

The installation was pretty straight forward, check out my diagram below for reference. Door speakers where all replaced and the sub was mounted behind the rear seat (driver side), fits like a glove. The LC2i was mounted under the rear seat (passenger side). Tapped the speaker signals from the Sony sub to the LC2i and left the sony sub connected (for the little extra bass it provided, not really needed)

The Kicker speakers sing so beautifully compared to the sony's and the Rockville sub punches clean LOUD bass. It literally overshadows the sony sub which sounds non existing. Let's put it this way, do you remember the water cup scene in Jurassic Park? Thats exactly the kind of bass I'm getting from the Rockville. I had a water bottle sitting on my armrest and I could see the ripples in the water, same for my rear view mirror, I $H i T you not!

In conclusion, I'm extremely pleased with my upgrade. No, I won't win any sound competitions, but I wasn't after that. I just wanted clean sound with punchy bass, mission accomplished!
Where did youmount the sub and was it,in the down fire or upfire position?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jdtibbett
Where did youmount the sub and was it,in the down fire or upfire position?
Behind the rear seat on the driver side firing inward. If you pull down the backrest of the rear seats, there is a space where the sub stands, I used velcro to hold it in place. Btw this is a Screw.

Name:  20150311_141722_zpsqgy2wzxq.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  348.3 KB

Last edited by jesusv; 03-11-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I think the popularity of the kicker sub is it's a complete nearly plug-n-play unit that offers excellent sound in a tidy package that looks OEM for not much more cost.

I put Polk audio speakers in all 4 doors for an extra $120.

Everything plugs into existing wiring as well.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Behind the rear seat on the driver side firing inward. If you pull down the backrest of the rear seats, there is a space where the sub stands, I used velcro to hold it in place. Btw this is a Screw.
I too have an screw planning on purchasing alpine type r comps and coax for the doors amped with a 4ch amp I already have and using the the audio control lc7i which has a sub out.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:08 PM

The rockville is behind the seat, completely out of the way, and hidden. You could also get rid of the sony sub and have a completely flat floor in the back.

The Kicker is a nice looking sub, but I was under the impression that you still had to run power, ground and remote to the sub. Does the kicker sub plug into the OEM sony sub harness?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM

The rockville is behind the seat, completely out of the way, and hidden. You could also get rid of the sony sub and have a completely flat floor in the back.

The Kicker is a nice looking sub, but I was under the impression that you still had to run power, ground and remote to the sub. Does the kicker sub plug into the OEM sony sub harness?

Yes it has an oem in appearance harness that comes with it so you have to attach to battery,(2 wires) kind of obvious since it is a self powered sub, and then just tap two wires from any speaker for the trigger, that's why I said nearly plug-n-play the amp is mounted on the sub enclosure with oem plugs for the harness to connect with.

Yanking out the back seat is not an option for someone that wants to just lay the box in and bolt it down. Took me about half an hour for complete install. Nothing wrong with doing it your way at all just not as DIY friendly as the kicker all in one.

What you get in the box,....

Last edited by RLXXI; 03-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Yes it has an oem in appearance harness that comes with it so you have to attach to battery,(2 wires) kind of obvious since it is a self powered sub, and then just tap two wires from any speaker for the trigger, that's why I said nearly plug-n-play the amp is mounted on the sub enclosure with oem plugs for the harness to connect with.

Yanking out the back seat is not an option for someone that wants to just lay the box in and bolt it down. Took me about half an hour for complete install. Nothing wrong with doing it your way at all just not as DIY friendly as the kicker all in one.

What you get in the box,....

Ahh, I see. Looks very nice! As I mentioned above, this is just an alternative. Not an OEM replacement, but hidden nonetheless. I must say I really do like the sound of the rockville. The bass is tremendous, I wonder if it has anything to do with the Audio control.

I would have liked the Kicker as well, but my budget and wants are different. This option is for someone who doesn't want to pay the Soundstage price, but wants to improve the overall sound of the Sony for cheap. The Kicker speakers on my door sound really crips, Im sure the sub sounds great too.

What is the RMS wattage of the kicker sub? I forgot to mention, the Rockville is 150 watts rms, 600 watts peak.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:40 PM

Shot a video yesterday, I choose a reggae song to showcase the different variations of bass.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:40 PM

Ahh, I see. Looks very nice! As I mentioned above, this is just an alternative. Not an OEM replacement, but hidden nonetheless. I must say I really do like the sound of the rockville. The bass is tremendous, I wonder if it has anything to do with the Audio control.

I would have liked the Kicker as well, but my budget and wants are different. This option is for someone who doesn't want to pay the Soundstage price, but wants to improve the overall sound of the Sony for cheap. The Kicker speakers on my door sound really crips, Im sure the sub sounds great too.

What is the RMS wattage of the kicker sub? I forgot to mention, the Rockville is 150 watts rms, 600 watts peak.
200W is all I know, this where I got mine brand new http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-14-FORD-F150-SUPER-CAB-EXTENDED-CAB-KICKER-SUBWOOFER-SPEAKER-9L3Z-18808-P-/161630564925?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25a1eeb23d&vxp=mtr
Here's a link from kicker as to the features, (ignore that price) LOL http://www.kicker.com/SF150S09
The following users liked this post:
jesusv (03-11-2015)

Quick Reply: Cheap Kicker soundstage upgrade alternative 2