Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Chassis ground vs. battery ground

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Chassis ground vs. battery ground

Need some input on this. Right now my amps are grounded to the back wall. Minimal engine noise but with AC and radio off you can hear a little. I have no problem with running a ground to the battery and adding a distribution block but before I drop $50-$100 bucks on supplies and 1-2 hours of time I need to know it's worth it.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You would be better off going to the frame then the back wall. The cab isnt a very good ground. Also make sure your rca's arent running next to your power wire(s).
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you keep your ground wires separate ( multiple amps) and as short as possible, also sand the paint from the contact point and don't use an existing bolt and also use quality crimp ends . Not from the hardware store. And use the best shielded RCA cables that you can afford, you shouldn't have any issues at all.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do this , and still have noise then look elsewhere for the source it's probably not a ground issue at the amp.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Would definitely change the ground from the cab to something on the chassis at least. Make sure your RCA's and other polarity sensitive/(audo signal and speaker cables) are away from your power wires.

I upgraded the big3 along with a few other under the hood with all 1ga mining wire, so I decided to go ahead and run my ground straight from the battery(1000CA 850CCA Interestate). But I am running a 12500lb winch and 2100rms so definitely needed a better charging system and a new 180 amp alt.

Honestly, unless you are pulling more than 200amps(1500-2000rms) you wouldnt have to run it directly from the 12v supply. A solid (polished metal of metal) chassis ground would be find for most installs.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ibd2328
Would definitely change the ground from the cab to something on the chassis at least. Make sure your RCA's and other polarity sensitive/(audo signal and speaker cables) are away from your power wires.

I upgraded the big3 along with a few other under the hood with all 1ga mining wire, so I decided to go ahead and run my ground straight from the battery(1000CA 850CCA Interestate). But I am running a 12500lb winch and 2100rms so definitely needed a better charging system and a new 180 amp alt.

Honestly, unless you are pulling more than 200amps(1500-2000rms) you wouldnt have to run it directly from the 12v supply. A solid (polished metal of metal) chassis ground would be find for most installs.
could you upload some pics of the big 3 you did on your truck? I found my engine ground but Would have a hard time getting to it as it seems to be right underneath my radio an towards the cab do I can't really reach it, also where is the other 2 spots on the truck i need to upgrade? just where the bolts i have to hook up to, like the alternator bolt I would have to take off to hook up another wire there.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by raif281
could you upload some pics of the big 3 you did on your truck? I found my engine ground but Would have a hard time getting to it as it seems to be right underneath my radio an towards the cab do I can't really reach it, also where is the other 2 spots on the truck i need to upgrade? just where the bolts i have to hook up to, like the alternator bolt I would have to take off to hook up another wire there.
1ga mining wire vs 4ga (supposedly). Please dont ever use raptor wiring, i got this off my friend for comparison. They use aluminum and other alloys in their wiring which lowers the current rating and connectivity. Get pure copper if you are upgrading the big 3 or running over 1000 rms

This is where the positive comes off the ALT

I connected the other end to the Starter Solenoid(you dont have to do this if you go directly to the battery). Its the bottom bolt

If you need more info, let me know.
Here is the wire i upgraded to
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by raif281
I am almost sure all 97-03 F150's have internal voltage regulators. So you don't have to worry about it pushing to many amps to over power the solenoid or wiring. The regulator connection plug should be on the outside of the alt (you can see it in this pic with the plug and wires comming out)

Quick Reply: Chassis ground vs. battery ground