Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

can someone explain this wiring diagram to me....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone explain this wiring diagram to me....

ive been looking at kicker's website on the wiring diagram. Im sure the members that have been seeing my endless posts, are getting irritated at me. But HEY!, what can i say i just want to learn wtf im doing and how to do it correctly. Once again i have 2 4 ohm dvcs, i dont believe i can run them down to a 2 ohm right? so... kicker actually shows two digrams to get a 4 ohm load, what am i misreading?

http://kicker.com/dvc_wiring
Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get either 4 ohms or 1 ohm with those subs. Can't get 2 ohms.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:06 AM

Ray, that's wrong. If he has two 4ohm devices, he can either get a 2ohm load or an 8 ohm load. Now I am assuming that you mean two dual voice coil speakers with 4 ohm voice coils. If you are dealing with 2ohm dual voice coil speakers, cut every number in this spiel in half.

If he wires the voice coils in series, he will get an 8 ohm load (resistance is cumulative in a series circuit). To do this, he would hook the power of the second sub to the ground of the first sub. This is per speaker

If he wires the voice coils in parallel, he will get a 2ohm load (resistance is equal to one divided by the sum of the reciprocals) The reciprocal of 4 is 1/4. 1/4ohm + 1/4ohm equals 2/4ohms... now divide 1 by 2/4 and you will get 1 * 4/2 which equals 4/2. 4/2 = 2 in the most simplified form. This is per speaker.

If you really want to have fun, you can wire multiple series circuits in parallel or multiple parallel circuits in series. You just find the total resistance of each sub circuit and use those totals to determine the over all resistance of the whole circuit. Then he can have either a 1 ohm setup (the speakers dvc (dual voice coils) wired in parallel and the total circuit wired in parallel), 4 ohm setup (the dvc wired in parallel, total circuit wired in series, 4 ohm setup (dvc wired in series, total circuit wired in parallel), or 16 ohm (dvc wired in series, total circuit wired in series).

Anyways, to explain that diagram, there are 4 connection posts on the speakers. Each connection is color coded ( red, blk, blk with wht dot, and red with wht dot). The lines between posts are jumpers. ON the top left speaker diagram (1 ohm for a dual voice coil 2ohm speaker), the red and the red + wht terminals are connected and the blk and blk+wht terminals are connected together. The red is connected to the positive output of the amp, the blk is connected to the negative output on the amp. The dual voice coils are 2 2ohm loads wired in parallel (the voice coils share... the reds are hooked to the same power lead and the blks are hooked to the same ground leads).

On the speaker on the top right, the blk (ground) lead is connected to the red+wht terminal (power of the second voice coil). The Red is still hooked to the positive out on the amp, the blk+wht is hooked to the negative out on the amp. This is wiring the voice coils in series (the ground of one voice coil is being used as the power for the next voice coil in the line)

Last edited by scythefwd; 11-23-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Car Audio Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has 2 dual 4 ohm subs. He can wire at 1 or 4 ohms.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Converted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at this link, I am sure there is a schematic for your application

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pjB0lR0...rs_wiring.html
Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM

thanks guys i believe i got a handle on it somewhat now. but stand by when i buy my aq1200d for more questions to be asked. lol
Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Rockford has a good, simple wiring wizard:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Quick Reply: can someone explain this wiring diagram to me....