Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Building my box

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building my box

So, i am in the process of designing/building the box for the 10" DC Level 2 sub i have, i want to build a wedge style box to go under the back passenger side seat, i want it to take up no more than half of the area under the seats, and be downfiring and sealed. The depth has to be at least 5.5", though i would like to have 6" mount depth. I have the 3/4 MDF already, am just looking for a way to get the extra depth i will need. I would like to get a plastic cap extender like on the following box:

http://www.foxacoustics.com/PhotoDet...de=F150-210-04

Does anyone know where to find one? That would be perfect, and make building my box much easier. Also, how far off the ground should the sub mount plate be since it is down firing? I am thinking about 2", but want to make sure the excursion of the sub will not hit the ground. If anyone knows where to find these plates or the answer to my question, that would be great. I have a link to an example of the type of box i want, but the site seems to be down, i will edit it in later if it comes back up...

thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell you the truth, i feel an easier way to doing something like that would be to make your own caps out of fiberglass since every sub is a different size. I would use some metal mesh, i got it from jerry's art supply by me, idk about by you, but build it, use the mesh to make the 1 side, then just repeat the process with the fiberglass. you can use regular cotton from like walmart
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I like jazar's recommendation.

Don't limit your materials. how about an mdf ring with a plexiglass or ABS disk on top?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jazar10
tell you the truth, i feel an easier way to doing something like that would be to make your own caps out of fiberglass since every sub is a different size. I would use some metal mesh, i got it from jerry's art supply by me, idk about by you, but build it, use the mesh to make the 1 side, then just repeat the process with the fiberglass. you can use regular cotton from like walmart
I agree that fiberglassing is your best bet! What i would do though, is cut the hole in the box where you want the magnet to poke through, then wrap your sub in a strong garbage bag, and install the sub into the box (maybe youse 2 or 3 screws to hold it on. Then turn the box over so you can see the magnet/barbage bag sticking through the hole you cut in the MDF. Now you can fiberglass over the garbage bag and creat the exact shape of the magnet. Once the fiberglass is dry, take the speaker out, and reinforce that area with more fiberglass and then use some kitty hair or bondo to blend it with the resot of the box..sand and Volia..you have what you were looking for, and it looks all like one piece!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the ideas of doing it yourself. I would recommend completing this process prior to carpeting, then just carpet the box and this "magnet hump", give it a professional look (not that you arent a professional).
Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may go look into the materials and see if this is something i can do. So by the sound of it i would get the general shape I wanted made out of the metal mesh, then, just paint over it with some fiberglass mix on both sides, then just attach that to the box? That definietely sounds like something i can do.

Thanks for the tip guys!!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by compCoder
I may go look into the materials and see if this is something i can do. So by the sound of it i would get the general shape I wanted made out of the metal mesh, then, just paint over it with some fiberglass mix on both sides, then just attach that to the box? That definietely sounds like something i can do.

Thanks for the tip guys!!
well get the metal mesh for the general shape. then put a thin piece of cloth so that the fiberglass has something to soak in and get its strength from. then lay the fiberglass over it.

Im actually working on a new box which im going to completely remove my center console, and make a brand new one with speakers and everything in it using MDF, MDF rings, and fiberglass. When i get it done, (project starts after this semester which is in may), ill post some pics of the hole process

Quick Reply: Building my box