Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Blown door speaker?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Blown door speaker?

I think I have a blown door speaker? It does nothing but rattle. Almost sounds like static. Looking at these for a good cheap replacement. What are the specs on the stock door speakers for an 05? Didn't think they were that easy to blow with nothing but a headunit.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...00&ev=prodView
Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Most stock speakers blow over time
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

how can you tell if a speaker is broken? I feel like one of my newly purchased ones may be broken, sometimes i feel like i can hear a sort- of scratchy noise from the passenger side, I cant tell or pinpoint when it happens, it almost sounds like a small vibration or rattling. Any ideas? is that what yours sounds like? seems to be only at higher volumes though
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macaboo
how can you tell if a speaker is broken? I feel like one of my newly purchased ones may be broken, sometimes i feel like i can hear a sort- of scratchy noise from the passenger side, I cant tell or pinpoint when it happens, it almost sounds like a small vibration or rattling. Any ideas? is that what yours sounds like? seems to be only at higher volumes though
That's exactly what mine sounds like. Front passenger side. And it is only if I play hip hop at high volume. No problem with country or rock.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What happens over time is the voice coil at the base of the speaker cone goes out of alignment and starts to rattle against the sides of the magnet housing. The Best place to go for replacement speakers is Crutchfield. I have been a customer of Crutchfield for 37 years, since 1974. They have all the best brands.

http://www.crutchfield.com/

The site will ask you for the make, year, and model of your truck and then it will show you only stuff that will fit. You can't go wrong. I was just looking over speakers that will fit your truck I favor Boston Acoustic, Infinity, and Polk Audio. They have excellent choices for less the a $100 dollars a pair. You will be happily surprised by the improvement in sound quality.

Last edited by transmaster; 01-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock speakers are just paper, they all blow eventually some just sooner than others. Hell, we got a new Camaro in at work last summer and one rear one was already blown. Crutchfield is a great site especially for research, but for speakers I use them to reasearch and then find the same model speakers elsewhere online for much cheaper. Only things I actually buy from crutchfield is headunits cause they give you the mounting and wiring kits. Don't buy from best buy, their selection is absolute s**t.

I really like Infinity, their sound quality is great for cheaper speakers. You will love the improvement especially with a aftermarket HU.
I'd recommend this if you wanna stay stock size and spend about average price: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1086829...cf.html?tp=105
Or for a little less money and a little less quaility, this:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086832...cf.html?tp=105

But don't buy from there.
Buy from here for the first choice:http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_8...s-6829cf-.html
Or here for the second choice:http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_9...-Speakers.html
For the small price diff, get the first IMO.

Last edited by jayson_waltz; 01-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for turning me on to Techronics Those are excellent prices
Old 01-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormack71
That's exactly what mine sounds like. Front passenger side. And it is only if I play hip hop at high volume. No problem with country or rock.
Yeah it only happens sometimes. I'm wondering though, if this has anything to do with the headunit being underpowered for the speakers. I'm going to try switching the passenger side speaker for one of the rear speakers and see if i notice the difference.

But whoever above suggested buying those infinity speakers from crutchfield. THose are the speakers i have, they are great. But I picked up 2 pairs off of ebay for 187 bucks shipped to my door. So its a risk, seeing as one of them may be broken after I just installed it. But they came with a 1 year warranty so I'm not worried.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well if it's rattle it's rattle all u need to do is fade it to that side and take your door panel off an listen to it u can tell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown door speaker?