Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Blew out my sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts

So, I had an infinity 1060w pushed by a JL 360/2 amp. I was running it for about 2 months, full gain in the amp and the gain on the cross over at about 75%. It sounded great and hit plenty hard for me. I was on my way back from lunch one day listening to Sail by AWOL Nation (quite a bit of bass), and all of a sudden it starting making the worst noise. I ended up dropping the gain on the crossover to about 30% just so I could still hear some of it, but the bulk of the bass was gone. This was last week.

Today, I actually took a look at it, and the cone had separated from the surround for about 1/4 of the circumference.

I ended up replacing it with a JL 10w1v3 today, and I have to say, I'm not impressed. It doesn't hit as hard as the infinity. I'm pretty disappointed with it actually, to the point that I'm thinking of selling it an getting another infinity. For less than 1/2 the price, it just performs much better. I guess for the immediate future, the JL will have to do.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 07-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell it and get an Orion XTRPRO that has Dual Voice Coils. I used to hate Orion until I heard this sub and it BEATS the hell out of my wife's Scion Xb. You can get them for $150 or less with a warranty and it will hit way harder than the JLW1 or the 1060W. Im running an XTRPRO 12" in a ported box on a Planet Audio 1000.1D and have had the gain about 2/3 up and the sub takes it without any issues.

I like JL products quite a bit but I dont think their subs hit that hard by themselves until you get to 10W3V3 and higher. Just my opinion
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It didn't come with a warranty?
You could glue the cone back onto the basket. Try to find some Locatite blackmax
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Windup
It didn't come with a warranty?
You could glue the cone back onto the basket. Try to find some Locatite blackmax
Being that I bought it on amazon, I'm not sure if it will have warranty or not. I don't know if the vendor was an authorized vendor.

I will keep the JL for a bit to see if it grows on me. If not, i'll just buy another Infinity.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by FNFX2
Sell it and get an Orion XTRPRO that has Dual Voice Coils. I used to hate Orion until I heard this sub and it BEATS the hell out of my wife's Scion Xb. You can get them for $150 or less with a warranty and it will hit way harder than the JLW1 or the 1060W. Im running an XTRPRO 12" in a ported box on a Planet Audio 1000.1D and have had the gain about 2/3 up and the sub takes it without any issues.

I like JL products quite a bit but I dont think their subs hit that hard by themselves until you get to 10W3V3 and higher. Just my opinion
The Orion sub would also require me to buy another amp as well, and I'm not going down that road. Besides, I'm not looking for something to rattle my fillings loose, the JL is just a little weak for my taste.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you were clipping your sub to death. You shouldn't have the gain all the way up. The gain needs to be matched to the rca out voltage. You can set the gain with a dmm or by ear and with a 50hz tone.

I suggest something like an SSA Dcon, Image Dynamics, JBL, new Alpine S or just another Infinity.

If you keep clipping you will burn another sub and most likely cook the amp too. Turn off any bass boost on the amp or hu as well. This will save your equipment. If output is not to your liking it's time to build a new enclosure, add more cone area, increase power. Or all of those.

Last edited by E Money; 07-04-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM

I never had any issues with distortion until the sub blew out. I am not over powering the sub and I am not over driving the amp.

Quick Reply: Blew out my sub