Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Big Three help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Big Three help

I recently installed 2 sundown sa-12's powered by a planet audio 3000.1, before I did this I upgraded my big three with 1/0 wire. The only problem is is that my headlights and dome lights still dim when the bass hits heavy. Did I do something wrong or do I just need a capacitor or extra battery. Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Good answers here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6153808AAlgoh9
The following users liked this post:
Samb22 (11-25-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Way too much amp for stock electrical. If the amp really puts out 3kw you are drawing between 250 and 300 amps. I would look into a higher output alternator and a second battery isolated from the truck battery and dedicated to the amp only. You should go to www.caraudio.com and do some research about what it takes to support that much power. You can't just throw a 3kw amp in the truck and go
Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by king nothing
Way too much amp for stock electrical. If the amp really puts out 3kw you are drawing between 250 and 300 amps. I would look into a higher output alternator and a second battery isolated from the truck battery and dedicated to the amp only. You should go to www.caraudio.com and do some research about what it takes to support that much power. You can't just throw a 3kw amp in the truck and go
Its not completely stock electrical, I have done the big 3 with high strand 1/0 wire with 250 watt fuses from the alt and the power wire for the amp. Plus I have a yellow top battery. I was only wondering if the big 3 would be enough for this much power or if I had messed up something common with the big 3 upgrade. I think I will look into upgrading the alt and adding a secondary battery.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Samb22
I recently installed 2 sundown sa-12's powered by a planet audio 3000.1, before I did this I upgraded my big three with 1/0 wire. The only problem is is that my headlights and dome lights still dim when the bass hits heavy. Did I do something wrong or do I just need a capacitor or extra battery. Thanks
With that much current draw you will need hi output alternator. And secondary battery to substain enough electrical supply.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtoshsr
And secondary battery to substain enough electrical supply.
Preferably isolated from the truck battery
Old 11-28-2014, 02:25 AM

Any suggestions on a good high output alt? Seems to be a few different options on the internet. Anybody have luck with a certain brand? Also what sort of amp output should I be looking for?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it doesnt answer your alt questions. BUT i had a huge setup in a small car and my lights dimmed ect... when i played loud bass. And i had a few things mentioned to me by my father and an audio professional i asked.

Audio guy let me know. A cap is really only made for competitions because they would drain your battery when they refill after a bass hit as well so they are good for that quick low note for a competition. Not for solving the battery drain which causes the dimming so it would actually put more work load on your battery and in turn the alt.

And my father told me (car guy in the parts game and car game all his life, runs parts stores). That upgrading your alt would improve the dimming as its what charges your battery and also wiring another battery would put more work on the alt so an upgraded alt would be needed for both ways... just keeping the set up or wiring in a second battery would require a better alt.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also i dont know what vehicle you have so in turn dont know what alt size you have. Id say research your vehicle to fjnd out your amperage of the stock alt and go high end because it sounds like you would.need double what you have now amd make sure she has the room to fit ect... look for a local retailer that can help you rather then ordering off the net. I went to a local retailer but sold my vehicle and removed the system before i did anything to the alt as cash was not so good back then haha

Quick Reply: Big Three help