Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Best route to take? NAV/Sony

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best route to take? NAV/Sony

Hey guys, my truck has the Nav dash (which I am perfectly happy with) and the Sony system but ever since I bought it I have been disappointed with it honestly. I am curious what would the best route for me to upgrade the system, without changing the HU? I am not looking for an absolute crazy system, basically I want what I expected the "premium" audio package to be.

I have read a couple posts on people being satisfied by changing their door speakers, sub and the amp. What would be the better components to buy if this is the best option?

I thought about the soundstage but that seems like it is off the table now.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

2014 Sony here. I went the easy route. I wanted to keep the factory HU and did not want to spend several hundred either. I bought Polk db571 for the doors with Metra speaker wire adapters. PNP install. I then tapped the Sony sub wires for input to a powered sub. Major difference. Is it as good as it could be? Nope. But it works for me and sounds pretty darn good. I used a powered sub I had from a previous truck plus I had a pair of Polk db571 on the shelf. Only bought one pair of Polks, amp install kit, LOC, Metra adapters, and an add-a-circuit adapter for remote power to the sub amp.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
2014 Sony here. I went the easy route. I wanted to keep the factory HU and did not want to spend several hundred either. I bought Polk db571 for the doors with Metra speaker wire adapters. PNP install. I then tapped the Sony sub wires for input to a powered sub. Major difference. Is it as good as it could be? Nope. But it works for me and sounds pretty darn good. I used a powered sub I had from a previous truck plus I had a pair of Polk db571 on the shelf. Only bought one pair of Polks, amp install kit, LOC, Metra adapters, and an add-a-circuit adapter for remote power to the sub amp.
So, you took out the Sony sub and installed a sub with its own amp to replace it?

What about the factory amp, is it just to the speakers?

I got nothing lying around so it'll all have to be bought so tons of options.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Using the Sony sub and the powered sub. Have read others doing it too so I thought....why not? I changed the door speakers but that was it. I tapped the wires connected to the sub for my line out convertor for audio input to my powered sub.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Certified Grumpasaurus

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Changing your door speakers first, would be the route I would take. It will be a huge improvement over factory. Listen to it for awhile then decide what you want to do next.

I did door speaker replacement, Infinity, then added a powered sub-woofer later, didnt have a sub so I tapped off of the rear speaker wires.

MPD165
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MPD165
Changing your door speakers first, would be the route I would take. It will be a huge improvement over factory. Listen to it for awhile then decide what you want to do next.

I did door speaker replacement, Infinity, then added a powered sub-woofer later, didnt have a sub so I tapped off of the rear speaker wires.

MPD165
What does the stock amp power, just the sub or the speakers? Or both?

I think I'll do just the door speakers first once I get that question answered.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Newfie FX4

sony amp powers the center channel on your dash, (2) tweeters in your pillars, (2) speakers in your front doors, (2) speakers in your back doors and the subwoofer.

if you are considering changing all of this out, it may be worth it to pick up an audio control lc8 or 7 depending on how many channels you need. I went with the lc8 and it sums the signals to a 4 channel amp and a mono amp.

clear as mud?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Certified Grumpasaurus

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Newfie FX4

The stock amp powers only the 4 channels, door speakers. The sub has its own amp. I just used the stock rear speaker wires for a signal.

MPD165
Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by liinxcore

sony amp powers the center channel on your dash, (2) tweeters in your pillars, (2) speakers in your front doors, (2) speakers in your back doors and the subwoofer.

if you are considering changing all of this out, it may be worth it to pick up an audio control lc8 or 7 depending on how many channels you need. I went with the lc8 and it sums the signals to a 4 channel amp and a mono amp.

clear as mud?
Man, I miss the times in my Ranger when I has a touch screen Kenwood with a ps2 hooked up in the glovebox, kicker speakers and a kicker sub in back with an amp. Simpler times haha

Quick Reply: Best route to take? NAV/Sony